? for those who have ever had IUD problems adult content

I have had Mirena for about 4 yrs now. I have had no problems. No periods at all since it was placed. At my last Dr visit my strings were gone so I got an ultrasound and my iud was still in place. This was in march. For the past month or longer I have been consistently bleeding, not a lot but spotting daily, brown blood. Enough where a mini pad is needed. I have had to buy pads for the first time in years. It went on for 2-3 weeks, stopped for about a week and has started again. First I thought it was stress but now I'm worried maybe my iud has moved, perforated or something? Anyone have any ideas or went thru this? I haven't had any pain, just the bleeding.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 PM on Nov. 26, 2010 in Health

• if it had perforated your uterus the blood would be fresh (red, not brown) and i'm sure there would be some pain. i guess if you're really worried about it you could call your ob, but i will say that i have had long periods of no bleeding, and then the brown spotting you described around when i was supposed to get my period. it never worried me ....it's just old blood
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:36 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• my strings fell out and i had a lot of pain and dark and fresh blood.. after my US they found my iud.. IN my cervix not on top of it.. when i went to get it removed it was upside down... worst pain of my life.. and i had 2 children natural!
    2boysmommy.js

Answer by 2boysmommy.js at 10:23 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• i would call and have them check it out.
    asil

Answer by asil at 10:29 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Thanks. Really my lack of pain is why I haven't been too concerned. But since its been going on for some time I probably will have them check it out. Thanks for the responses.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:54 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Does Mirena release hormones? It could be possible that the amount of hormones it is putting into your body to suppress ovulation could have reduced... In any case, I would def. be making an appt. to talk to my Dr. about it if I were you!
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 11:03 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• You should go in..just to be safe. But you're lucky to not have problems with the Mirena..it's not common. I had it for 3 years and it was awful..which is why I switched to the non-hormonal Paragard IUD. Now I feel amazing! Good luck.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 11:43 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Call your doc. When my IUD perforated I KNEW IT. It hurts pretty bad. Mine ended up being surgically removed from my RLQ. It was by my appendix.
    cinnamon288

Answer by cinnamon288 at 12:00 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• you are only supposed to have mirena up to 5 years, right? maybe the hormones in the iud arent as strong now? i wouldnt worry about the blood unless you have pain and fill a pad an hour.
    aguerra13

Answer by aguerra13 at 12:04 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I agree w/the other ladies here: make an appointment & have it checked just 2 make sure everything's still in place.

NubianQueen78

Answer by NubianQueen78 at 8:31 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• What's more unusual is that you had NO period for 4 years. Mirena is not supposed to suppress periods and you should after a few months return to a normal menstrual cycle. Perforation would hurt and I doubt you would be going around with it unnoticed. My first time around with a mirena I had normal periods, no spotting, no missed periods, nothing... until 4.5 years had passed and I got pregnant with it in. I've had a new one placed after that baby was born and I had continuous spotting for about 7 months and now it's been off and on spotting since (3 months). The blood may be red or it may be brown and old, the color itself does not exactly indicate a perforation or not. However because it is unusual from what you had before you may want to consider a check-up and possibly a new IUD placement as the hormones may be lower and possibly become ineffective like my first one.
    -Cassandra-

Answer by -Cassandra- at 5:08 PM on Dec. 8, 2010