trying to pick out a new car seat! which one would u buy?

my dd has out grown her infant car seat. so im looking at rear facing car seats that can also switch to be forward facing! i like the Graco my ride 65 and the safety first complete air 65! i drive a 05 nissan altima so i am worried that they might not fit. wat car seat do u own?

Caroline2010

Asked by Caroline2010 at 9:51 PM on Nov. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• the graco myride and the complete are are both great seats that will keep your little one rear facing up to 40lbs. you would probably get longer use out of the complete air though since most kids outgrow their seats by height rather than weight when they are such a high weight limit (65lbs) The complete air has higher top harness (the highest in a convertible seat right now) than the myride. If you go to babies r us they will let you take the seats to your car to try them out. Depending on how old your little one is the my ride might fit better right now though because they fit small babies well. If you can try them out just make sure the harness is coming from below the shoulders for rear facing. If you have more questions ask the ladies in the car seat safety group here on cafemom...they are great and may even be able to tell you if each seat will fit well in your car.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 10:28 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Graco Nautilus! It is versatile, with infant support up to 30lbs, built in harness up can be taken out once they get too tall, then you can use with regular seat belt, and then the back comes off completely to be a booster seat. It's not rear-facing, but if your baby is a year old, it doesn't have to be. And you'd never have to buy another carseat again...where the rear-facing convertible seats, you'd have to buy the next step up next year. Whatever you buy, remember graco gets the best safety ratings. Cheap things like safety first, evenflo, and cosco are the ones being constantly recalled.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 9:56 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I have a My Ride 65. It actually takes up LESS room than the infant car seat. I could actually move the seat back a bit so I could get more leg room.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:24 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I just got a Graco Nautilis 3 in 1. It is most recommended by Consumer Reports
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:53 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• to jademom07- can i use that car seat rear facing? i looked on line and it doesnt say!
    Caroline2010

Comment by Caroline2010 (original poster) at 9:59 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• No you can't. Unfortunately, they have to be a year old before you can turn them. Up to that point just use the infant seat. Even if their legs get long, you can fold them. They get all the time to stretch when they are out of the seat anyway.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:00 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• my dd is 9 months old so i need rear facing and they just changed the laws in my state to 2 years and 30 pounds for rear facing!
    Caroline2010

Comment by Caroline2010 (original poster) at 10:01 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• her legs have been over for a while but now her head is to the top of the car seat so i think i need to switch in another 3 months she will be over the top of the seat! she is off the charts in height!
    Caroline2010

Comment by Caroline2010 (original poster) at 10:02 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• we own a alpha omega eliete and love it... youll have to switch again if your child is really tall if you want the to be harnessed for a long time but it was worth the $150 and it fit in my dodge stratus
    2boysmommy.js

Answer by 2boysmommy.js at 10:21 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• to foxracing43701- thanks!! we are going to babies r us tomorrow to test them out!!! i didnt know they would let u do that!! cool!!!
    Caroline2010

Comment by Caroline2010 (original poster) at 10:37 PM on Nov. 26, 2010