What do dreams mean with children?

That's the 5th time my daughter has gotten up tonight and told me that Humpty Dumpty was chasing her. The first time I told her that HD was pretend and was in the nursery rhyme book. He wasn't going to chase her again. The next time, I said the same thing. Then I tried telling her that maybe he wants to play with her. She was suppose to tell him that they could play tea party or have a picnic together. Then it was that she was suppose to tell him "no chasing me." Nothing is working. She's 3 and could be just trying to stay up and not go to bed. She's tried to stay up before but never used an excuse like someone was chasing her. Any positive suggestions are welcome.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:10 PM on Nov. 26, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i'm not sure... my 3 year old sometimes will wakeup durin the night, which isn't like her, and have some sort of story about what her "brain" was doing... i'm thinking dreams... and sometimes she goes right back to sleep, other times she's so scared she won't.
    asil

Answer by asil at 10:13 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• gee, i'm lucky i guess because i'm rational and so are my kids lol. i would just say oh, humpty dumpty...the one that fell off the wall? and what happened to him? (they say he broke apart), then i would say right. so how can he chase you? that would work in my house lol. another thing that works is to redirect their dreams....give her a detailed description of something else to dream about (that doesn't involve humpty dumpty or anything like that). make it about a favorite game, book or movie she is very familiar with and that works too. gl!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:15 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• My kids had extremely vivid dreams they could easily tell the story of at that age. So did I... and some of them were so freaky I still remember them.

Talk about how dreams are just brains being busy and that once she becomes aware of the fact that she's dreaming, she can control it --like turning Humpty into scrambled eggs, or my eldest's answer to monsters of all sorts: turn it into a fluffy blue bunny. I have no idea how she came up with that idea, but she passed it on to her little sister...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 10:44 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Dreams are the brains way of processing information/problems. Reoccurring dreams are usually adressing the same unresolved issues. Unfortunately there is no real way of knowing what objects represent to each individual. Try to have calming activities before bed, and just soothe her when she wakes up from them.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 11:11 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Hmmm... I'm not sure what that could mean. Could you maybe lay down with her until she falls asleep?
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 12:33 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Sounds to me like she is trying to get to stay up. You don't mention her being upset about it so I really would not get into a dialog with her - simply send her back to bed. When she gets you talking it's extra time to stay up. Not to mention she knows Mommy will maybe try to do anything to "help" her. At this age I am pretty certain "chasing" isn't a bad or scary thing. It is what it is.

DO NOT lay down with her til she falls asleep! She is WAAAAAAAAAY more than old enough to lay down and put herself to sleep. I babysit a 4 mo old that I have been working on laying her down sleepy but not awake and letting her put herself to sleep. She whimpers 2 or 3 times, not even a cry because she's tired and goes to sleep. Her mom runs and gets her and I told her, "she is fine - you don't need to get her" and then she went to sleep. Her mom was like "How the HELL did you do THAT?!" lol
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 12:16 AM on Nov. 28, 2010