We seriously are getting just $200 worth of gifts for my kids.

They are all teens so I am wondering what to do with making the day seem fuller? For Christmas that is. I am getting what they want but they know the limits. So my son wants a kindle my daughter wants a pair of boots and a few pairs of jeans.
Should I not worry that there is only going to be like 6 things under our tree? They know this is b/c of tuition bills for their college.
Tell me how you have dealt with this?

mmmegan38

Asked by mmmegan38 at 10:12 PM on Nov. 26, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• Get the big stuff and then go to the dollar tree or Big Lots for the little stuff. Get em college stuff,,,how bout wrap up a gift card for a coffee house or McDonalds gift coupons. Im probably right around the same ball park with you money wise...
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 10:17 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• to me it's all about quality and not quantity. i would be much happier with one nice gift than with 100 crappy dollar store ones lol. they're teenagers....they get it by now. you could also have some stocking stuffers with fun (cheap) stuff too, like candy, games, etc.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:17 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I think a family game would be a nice gift. Then you can all spent time together. I also think that it would be fun to do a white elephant exchange but each person would have to have several items for it to be any fun with just 4 of you.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:20 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• when i was a teen i knew my parents had limits. i would have been happy with what youre doing...Christmas is only one day out of the year and they need to know that its about people. not things. you have probably already taught them that : ) BUT education lasts a lifetime! Do you still stuff their stockings? My sis and i always know that even if we only get a couple gifts to open from under the tree, we still have a stocking full of candy, small gift cards, maybe 10 or 20 in cash, lotions, cheap nail polish... if its personalized and they notice you LISTENED to what they wanted and did your best, im sure they wont have any complaints...youre doing great, Momma!
    mamagee1218

Answer by mamagee1218 at 10:21 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• my mom would get me a few big things and then like $5 gift cards to sonic or starbucks! getting a few things they can use at school that are cheap would be nice! but since they are adults now they understand money doesnt grow on trees! u are doing great!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 10:22 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• We always do dollar tree, and no its not 100 crappy dollar store items, just fun stuff. More to open that way and it makes the unwrapping time last longer. Who wants to open just one present anyway?
    Anonymous

• I would maybe get them each a few smaller gifts for around $50 total, then give them each $50 in cash. Just an idea, though.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:23 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• anon.....i would rather open something that costs $100 that i asked for than 100 things from the dollar tree. who wouldn't??
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:26 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I think what you are doing is wonderful. Christmas is not a bunch of presents. We never had a problem with this until Christmas afternoons when my daughter's friend (a rich family) would call and start listing everything she got.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:26 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• when money is so tight ,when kids where small we pick name ,each child would gift for name they picked the gift where great because they made one and bought one
    when christmas morning came the light in their eyes where shinning so bright and the gift they recived from their siblings where much enjoyed to this day we still exchange names
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 10:35 PM on Nov. 26, 2010