S/O Would you divorce your DH if they converted to a different faith?

Many women said they would not date or marry someone of a different faith. So I wonder what would you (if you're one of those women) then do if your spouse decided, once you were married, to convert to a belief system you do not agree with. Now, I don't mean switching from one church to another or one denomination to another, but from Christian to Muslim or from Jewish to Pagan or something where their religion as a whole is now different...

Would you divorce them? Would you learn to live with it? How would if affect you & your marriage?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 10:16 PM on Nov. 26, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• it depends on how it would affect me and the children.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:18 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I am not one of those women, but as long as he did not expect to convert me, I would be happy that he found his own true path.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:18 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I'm not one of those women either... My hubby and I are of two different religions, it's rarely if ever an issue, but for some people it is apparently a pre-requisite for dating and marriage that they have the same beliefs... Which is what made me ask...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 10:21 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I know what you mean. I was a hardcore Christian when we started dating. He is an atheist. It has never been an issue for us, we just don't discuss it. He respect my beliefs and I respect his. I am not longer a hardcore Christian, I am searching for my true path.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:24 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• It depends on which faith and how far into it he got. If he started believing in a god, it wouldn't be too big of a problem, I don't think. If he suddenly became a hardcore Christian, I am not sure if I could live with that. I have to be able to connect to my husband and respect him, and a lot of that would be gone.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:28 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• What my husband believes (or doesn't) is none of my business.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 10:37 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Nope. That's like the least important thing to me.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 10:46 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Never!
    mom23girls541

Answer by mom23girls541 at 10:49 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• As long as he never expected me/pressured me to follow suite, as long as he still respected my beliefs, it wouldn't matter to me.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:53 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Actually Sabrina that is the reason my husband is divorcing me... he no longer believes like I do and we disagree on many things. It was his choice and I am letting him make that choice. I did my part the best I could. Since making this choice of his, I have been experiencing more freedom than before to pursue God and the things I desire to do. That is sort of the gist of it. It is sad but I am much happier than before. He did tell me that I could follow his path and I said if it pulls me away from God.. absolutely not and he said fine.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:06 PM on Nov. 26, 2010