What do mom's due to relieve guilt over their child's aspergers?

tamwig71

Asked by tamwig71 at 10:31 PM on Nov. 26, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• What do you feel guilty about?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:33 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• honey all moms feel guilt over anything that proves to be a challenge in thier childs life.........we want them to be healthy normal and saf for ever........thats never how it works........dont blame yourself
    SteelersChick

Answer by SteelersChick at 10:34 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• It's not your fault, so their is nothing to feel guilty about....
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:37 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I dont blame myself but get overwhelmed. Especially when things are going good and they have a meltdown. Or I think about all the time I give to him with therapy, school issues, etc. and feel my daughter who is neurotypical gets pushed to the side :( Sometimes it feels like going uphill both ways.
    tamwig71

Comment by tamwig71 (original poster) at 10:37 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Don't blame yourself!! You didn't cause it.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 10:38 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• i have a child with autism
    i feel lots of things
    guilt-no
    but lots of other bad feelings
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:41 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• My brother was diagnosed with Asperger's this year. He was 45 (now 46). Don't beat yourself up, pat yourself on the back for recognizing that your child has a condition and dealing with it head-on. My family buried their heads in the sand for YEARS. My brother was glad to find out that there was a name for what he had - he knew something was "off". Since his diagnosis, he now has found a full-time job. You have my admiration - hang in there. You are a good mother.
    cheeseit

Answer by cheeseit at 10:42 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

_________
    Now THAT feeling I understand. I give my self five minutes. Then I remember that it is always a process and I remind myself of all the ways that he is so special. My DH and I make sure that each child gets special one on one time. He takes one and i take the other. That way they both feel special.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:45 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• My 20yo has Aspergers and I have never felt guilty, there's nothing to feel guilty about. He played football, ran track & was in drama from 7th-12th grade, volunteered with several different things between grades 9-12 including Big Brothers where he was a big brother to a child who was autistic, worked as a cashier at a grocery store for 2 years and he graduated with a 2.9GPA and no IEP through high school (last had one the 1st 1/2 of 8th grade). He is now in the Army and while he has a few little quirks, he's just like anyone else. Even if he weren't doing all of those things I wouldn't feel guilty, I didn't cause his Aspergers.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 11:07 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• There are support groups out there. I can imagine it ahs to be very overwhelming at times, but you need to be able to have a place to go to talk to others that are dealing with the same parenting issues.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 4:37 PM on Nov. 27, 2010