How do i keep my puppy from chewing ?

chewing on my leather couch that is. We are going crazy here ! We say " no " in a stern voice, redirect him , only to find him right back to chewing a few minutes later. I know he must be teething, and we have offered him other chew friendly toys and options....Now we are at a loss. Advice would be greatly appreciated.

sulkygirl79

Asked by sulkygirl79 at 10:57 PM on Nov. 26, 2010 in Pets

• When he manages to chew on appropriate items, praise him superfluously. There are various methods of distraction that will get him to stop chewing. One cheap thing dogs hate - get an empty soda can, put half a dozen or so pennies in it, put tape over the top, and shake it. If your dog begins to hear that noise every time he chews, he might be dissuaded. You could also try the squirt bottle method, just don't squirt the face, that's just mean. You could try to use the clicker, but that noise may or may not be enough to catch his attention. If all else fails, use the cone of shame. He can't chew if he has a cone around his head. If nothing else works, use the cone until you are able to consult a professional dog trainer.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 11:03 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Great ideas thanks ! We tried the clicker today...it didn't phase him. I'm going to try the can with pennies thing next.

sulkygirl79

Comment by sulkygirl79 (original poster) at 11:04 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• That is not how the clicker should be used. If you want to use a clicker you must teach the puppy what it means first. The clicker is used to mark the behavior you want. If you want the to use the clicker sit down with the puppy and click and treat do this until he reacts to the clicker with a head tilt ear twitch or something like that. What kind or toys does the puppy have? Try giving the puppy soup marrow bones and treat filled kongs. I like to freeze kongs because that keeps the busy longer and they like the feel of it especially when they are teething. The important thing is not to leave the puppy unattended.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 4:45 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Crate
    SavageGrl

Answer by SavageGrl at 2:59 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I agree, a clicker would not work this way. I think your dog needs to be in a crate or on a leash in the house for a few months. I also would encourage you to take him to obedience training.

A shake can can be a good method as long as you are sure to have the can at all times, but if he is left alone with the couch....
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 9:59 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I gave my dog a chew toy that he seemed interested in, it ended up being trial and error but he loves cow hoofs. I have to buy them from a local pet shop not petsmart or petco. He liked pig ears for a while but got bored but he loves his hoofs.
    nbaker1227

Answer by nbaker1227 at 10:47 PM on Nov. 27, 2010