Monitor it !

At what age did you stop closely monitoring what your child watched on television or at the movies ? Do you go by the rating guidelines, or by the individual child and their maturity level ?

sulkygirl79

Asked by sulkygirl79 at 11:00 PM on Nov. 26, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Id say individual child and their maturity level, my fds is 15 I still keep a eye on what he watches
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 11:04 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Um... ever?

My kids weren't interested in watching adult-level stuff --I think because they'd run into it in bits and pieces here and there (usually at other people's houses) and found it disturbing enough to want to avoid.

Since I spent the vast majority of time with my kids until they were in their early teens, I had a very good idea what they were watching --because we talked about pretty much anything that bothered them, or that I wondered what they thought about ... so it never seemed necessary.

From when they were really little, we programmed the tv so that they only channels they could get to with the up and down channel buttons were 'okay' -- no network news, no sports channels, no music video channels, not Fox. We could still get to them by knowing the channels ourselves, but they never happened to go past them.

We kept the computers in the main part of the house where anyone might be standing behind them anytime.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:16 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I simply took TV away from my kids 14 years ago! But always saw movies they wanted to see first. I can't just go by ratings. I've seen some pretty iffy PG 13's!
    raynestar

Answer by raynestar at 11:51 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I will stop monitoring what my daughter does when she moves out of my house..
    Ren_Ren

Answer by Ren_Ren at 8:30 AM on Nov. 28, 2010