How to keep your place clean with toddlers?

I'm a young mom of two toddlers. One is 3 yrs old and the other is 18 months. I find I am constantly picking up after them, it's kinda overwhelming. And also at the end of the day I am tired and don't wanna do much cleaning after they go to bed. I am the type of person that needs 8- 9 hrs a night.

One of the ideas I have come up with is to put them in their bedroom with a baby gate and sweep and mop the floor for 30 minutes. And just play with them in the bedroom until the floor dries. What are some of your ideas to keep your house clean with your kids, babies, etc.?

ChildGoddess

Asked by ChildGoddess at 11:29 PM on Nov. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• Try a 10 minute pick up once an hour or every other hour. And have the kids join in, even if they put 1-2 toys away now it will get better and it helps. I started training my daughter to put away a little bit at a time now shes almos 2 and a half and picks up almost all her toys every 10 minute pick up, it really does help. If youre picking up a little at a time all throughout the day its easier at night. Good luck!!
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 11:33 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I would say just get use to a messy house for a few more years. I clean about an hour a day and it doens't seem to make a difference. I put so much effort into dishes, laundry and picking up the floors that I barely ever get around to deeper cleaning, like the bathroom and scrubbing the floors. I resort to just vacuuming everything.

Good luck!!
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 11:33 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I have a 14-mont-old. I was recently considering deciding not to clean house until my children are grown up. Sorry, can't answer your question!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:36 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• that answer is easy, i dont
    SteelersChick

Answer by SteelersChick at 11:40 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Lol my 2 year old is weird and loves to clean her room and help me clean she reminds me every morning to clean the house we actually had her checked for ocd but nope we're just lucky lol
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 11:44 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• It can be difficult but I agree with a PP...do a "10 minute pick up" once an hour. If you see that you don't need one skip it and do one the next hour when it becomes necessary. If you need to do laundry get the kids to help. My kids are 3 and 17 months. My youngest friggen LOVES laundry. He will help bring all the laundry from their bathroom (they have a dirty clothes place their since that's where they typically undress for bath time) to the laundry room. He will also put the clothes from the washer into the dryer if I hand him the pieces.

Do the dishes while they play. If your kiddos prefer to be in the room with you fill the bottom drawer with pretend food, large plastic serving spoons that you don't mind them playing with and a couple of round metal baking pans. Let them pretend to cook, drum or whatever while you wash dishes or prepare a meal.

Give them rags to help wipe things down (like the cabinets, walls, and
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 11:50 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I wish I knew what to tell you to help. I only have one toddler who is 20 months old. And my house is never as clean as I would like it to be. Right now he has been in bed for 2 hours and I just decided to take a break and I still need to do dishes, clean the bathroom,sweep and mop, and laundry needs taken to the laundromat. I pick up toys all throughout the day and try to get as much as I can done and it never seems to work out how I want it to. A big problem around here is too many toys, and with christmas coming up I have no idea where the new stuff is going to go because we already have so much already. Over the next couple days my game plan is going to be to get rid of some stuff. I am going to go through toys and get rid of all the stuff that he doesn't play with, I have gotten rid of some stuff already but I am going to have to come to terms with no matter how much we paid for it has to be donated to goodwill.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 11:52 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• tub) whil\e you srcub the toilet.

And at the end of the day have a "room to room round up" BEFORE (this can get them riled up) bed time routine to pick up any stray toys, shoes, or whatever that may have been left out.

This will instill a sense of responsibility and will prepare them for when you expect the to start helping out with other household chores when they are a little older.

Good luck and if things do become overwhelming or you are just too exhausted to pick up the toys and whatever else they've drug out one day...DON'T STRESS...It's much better to have a rest mom who plays with her kids than to have a worn out mom who spends her whole life cleaning and pays little mind to the FUN PART of being a kid!!
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 11:55 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• a few ideas:
    - teach them to keep their toys in a toy room/bedroom.. (or only 1 toy out of that room at a time)
    -Limit the toys they have available to play with.. Split their toys up & keep them in different storage containers.. Rotate the toys once a week so every week they get a new box to play with.. This limits the size of the mess & keeps them interested in all their toys..
    -Before naptime & bedtime do a round-up of all toys..
    -Have toy bins in the living room, or wherever the toys seems to pile up so u have a quick way of cleaning up & not having to keep taking stuff back to their room constantly.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:08 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• haha it's depends on what you are having to clean up. With my daughter, I've just gotten to the point where she and I will pick up the toys right before bed time. That way she's learning how to pick up after herself and I'm not going so insane. With toys in other rooms of the house, I let it slide for about an hour or two and if she's not playing with it that moment I'll just put them with her mess in her room. There's really no use in stressing about it.
    wolverinemama

Answer by wolverinemama at 1:40 AM on Nov. 27, 2010