How to be organized in a frugal way?

I live in a small two bedroom apartment with my fiance and two kids. I am wondering of how to organize our apartment in a cheap/frugal way. I am have a very low income and can't even afford a dresser. So instead I am buying one of those "portable" clothing racks. It will only cost be 15 bucks or so.

ChildGoddess

Asked by ChildGoddess at 11:45 PM on Nov. 26, 2010 in Home & Garden

• second hand stores are cheap and you can find decent stuff. But ask around friends /family always have junk laying around,things were gonna throw out ect
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 11:48 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Do you have closets? I would hang as much clothing as I can. If you and your fiancee need both closets, hang the kids' clothing on the racks you are buying. Make that part of their decor. Then I would fold as much as I can and put on the shelves. Buy a few large plastic storage bins and put the clothing that is out of season in there. Do you have an attic anywhere in the apartment? You can use that as storage as well, if it is clean. Don't forget about the flat bins that can fit under the bed. You can use that for storage as well.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:49 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Yeah, I would say check out GoodWill or something similar for cheap shelves or dressers... Even if they don't match spray paint is $1 a can at most dollar stores. Do you have closets? "Hanging" shelves can usually be found at dollar stores for a few bucks and will usually connect to just about any closet bar. We don't have lots of room or money, so we started hanging up everything we can, including pants & t-shirts since hangers are so cheap.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:52 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• In our town we have a mission with a second hand store. and a salvatiom army store. Both places will give you vouchers for furniture and household items. see what you can pick up for free. Also check out garage sales. or dumpsters behind rent to own stores.
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 11:57 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• check out some of the things that the container store has, such as over the door hangers, underbed storage, and whatnot. Figure out what your biggest needs are with regard to organization, and focus on one area at a time. If you are expecting a good tax refund, that may be the time to look into some bigger ticket items, but do price comparisons first and catch things on sale, and use coupon codes. Also check out freecycle and craigslist, I have a low income too and was able to get a good price on my dresser and my dining-room table. Hope this helps!!
    purplerobin

Answer by purplerobin at 11:57 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Minimize the stuff you collect & you'll have less to figure out how to store. Then, for the stuff you do have, think outside the box for storage solutions, like using empty milk crates to create a low storage bookcase or a combo of cinder blocks & a board for a shoe rack/shelf. Also, check www.freecycle.com for stuff you can use, as well as thrift & charity stores.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 4:06 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• i agree
    san78

Answer by san78 at 7:33 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Second hand stores plus a can or two of paint/spray paint, can do WONDERS!! If you can locate sturdy pieces of furniture, you can give them new life by painting them, adding new hardware/pulls, and even stenciling a little design around the borders/edges! I LOVE doing this with yard sale finds too! I find it therapeutic and an inexpensive way to decorate.

You should check out HGTV.com Design on a Dime to get some inspiration! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:22 AM on Nov. 29, 2010