bull terrier does anyone have one..

I would like to get a puppy but I wonder are they good with kids and good watch dogs ...thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Nov. 5, 2008 in Pets

• OMG!!!! People please learn your breeds!!! Bull Terriers are NOT Pit Bulls! Totally different breeds of dog. God, any reason for the idiots to voice their so called knowledge on Pit Bulls.

Actually, Bull Terriers are excellent family dogs. They love, love, love children. They are hard-headed and defintely need formal training(what terrier breed doesn't, any breed for that matter) They have a wonderful zest for life and are clowns. I would find a reputable breeder and see if they could mentor you with this breed at least for a year and see if you still want one.

Good luck!
    pitbull4me

Answer by pitbull4me at 8:51 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I dont have one, but do have a bit of experience with animals and their temperments. I am not sure exactly that a bull terrier would be the best choice. Granted, like a pit bull is sweet and loving, there are always the ones that just came from the wrong parentage. What about a french bulldog? They are similar and VERY good with kids in my experience and good watch dogs on top of that. And oh so cute! Sorry I cant be of more help...
    Kelly_n_Payton

Answer by Kelly_n_Payton at 10:59 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I have a pitbull terrier. You need to be careful who you get them from. We have a few and always make sure that we get them from families and watch how the parents(dogs) interact with the children in that home. with our 3 yr old dog when I got him, I saw a 3 yr old shoving his huge dad around and the dog just took it wagging his tail. It was a very loving home that I know the dogs were being treated well and obviously had a good temperment. Were very friendly to me too. very good watch dog too. barks at any movement at all in our yard. plus having one deters anyone from coming near here anyway. lol. has been very very good with our kids, loves them to death! but I dont care the breed of the the dog, you still have to watch them with the kids.
    but generally, from the right home, they are wonderful pets. Our vet agrees!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• i think any dog can be good with kids as long as you get them young teach your kids to respect the dog and train your dog right. im so sick of hearing you never know with a certain kind of dog... you do and if it does snap its a lack of discipline and training on the owners part!

whitenena

Answer by whitenena at 11:10 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I would definately do research on the different breeds you are thinking of getting to learn about their backgrounds and temperments (it makes a difference in raising them properly because it gives you a better understanding of why they perform certain behaviors. Next would be dog/human training. You can have the best trained dog, but when put with the wrong person...disaster (because they are still animals). You have to raise them to be respectful and obedient ( of you and the kids), but also teach your children to respect the dog and treat the dog appropriately. My brother in law does not like our dog because he snapped at my niece ( he didn't scold her for grabbing him while he was eating). Both parties are at fault and both need to learn how to live together!
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 11:04 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Go to www.dogbreedinfo.com best site for all breeds
    Albi1623

Answer by Albi1623 at 10:17 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• if you are looking for a family pet specially for small kid, i wouldn't say it's a best choice... Although it depends on how u reise them, but don't forget they are bread to be a guard dog and require lots of training and exercise..
    Albi1623

Answer by Albi1623 at 10:24 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Dobermans make great watch dogs, but are actually very good family pets too. I did a little research myself a while ago, that's how I found out.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:29 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• lol my aunt have a doberman and she was the aweetest dork ever lol she did great w/ kids.
    whitenena

Answer by whitenena at 11:38 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• i looove bull teriors! i want one soo bad! but yes any dog can be great wit anyone if they were froma loving family
    Kamarias_mommy

Answer by Kamarias_mommy at 10:24 PM on Nov. 7, 2008