making the transition to staying at home

So for 10 yrs of my adult life I worked 40-50 per week. And after a move for my husbands work I am now at stay at home mom until I can find something. Its been 4 months and I am going crazy. My kids are 10 and 7 so they arent home with me for the most part are at school - how do I get motivated to do anything?! Usually cleaning is always done - for the most part - what should I do with my time? Have yall been through this?

Tonesgirl

Asked by Tonesgirl at 12:00 AM on Nov. 27, 2010 in Money & Work

• lol! Yes. I worked all of my entire adult life. Since I got remarried, we own our own businesses, so my job is to help out with them. Meaning, I do a lot of the work from my home. When I don't have anything to do, I go crazy! I have to get out of the house at least once a day! It takes patience and practice. Find something to keep yourself busy, like cooking or baking, maybe even crafting.... Good luck!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:09 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I'm got a toddler and pre-schooler... so my time is pretty sparse at the moment even with staying home. But, some ideas are... volunteering for your child's school or in your community. Start a small business from a current hobby... take up new hobbies... what are you interested in?
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:10 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Good luck with your job search! At least you have plenty of time for it! LOL
    I would say volunteer work, whether with your kids' school or elsewhere. Something that interests you, that you feel passionate about. Explore your hobbies. Do you enjoy painting, photography, dancing? Explore your creative side and see what happens. The house can only get so clean, ya know?
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:26 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I work p/t while kids are in school, but volunterring would keep you busy-at school or shelter or hospital
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 12:27 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Volunteer work
    Consulting

Answer by rkoloms at 5:19 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Find something that is your own; housework ain't it. I went back to school, started a home business, volunteered, and pursued several hobbies. Do what interests and stimulates YOU!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I volunteer at my children's school several days a week. The teachers appreciate the help and it gives me something meaningful to do.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:17 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• If it was me, I would find a place to volunteer with during the day. It will fill your time, you will meet people, and it'll be a nice addition to your resume for the time you are out of work.
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 10:01 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• After I was laid off last year, I went crazy, too. My kid is younger than yours though and eventually, I settled into a habit ... and started a business. Is there anything that interests you? You could read, do hobbies, join a gym or other club, take a class, any number of things.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 10:36 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• thank you guys for the comments - I have volunteered with their school, but they only call me a few times every few weeks, and did I meantion I now live in a small town and am terrified to get caught up in "small town drama" - also I have found some of these women are pretty clicky - especially the ones that lived here their whole lives - sometimes women can be so cruel
    Tonesgirl

Comment by Tonesgirl (original poster) at 12:06 PM on Nov. 27, 2010