Should I stay out of their argument if one might not like my answer lol. The question between my two friends is.."should a house wife make sure her husband has a home cooked meal, and a house that is clean?"

Ok so my two friends at dinner the other night were going back and forth about stay at home moms. Now mind you none of us are, but I was one at one time for a while. I dont remember how the question got brought up but, I pretty much stayed out of it because I dont agree with them. They were saying things like "hell no..I dont need to cook for no one if Im taking care of the kids all day" lol..ok, well I think you should care. So I know I will probably get it for this ;) but yes...if your a stay at home mom, and your husband is working hard to put food on that table...he should have a nice cooked meal and not take out. Ok..take out sometimes..if perfectly fine. But you know what I mean. Also, I know first hand that it is a job in its self to take care of kids..especially if they are really young. But if your kids are in school, or they can sit down and color or play with there toys by them self for a little while...why not keep your house clean? You should, and you should cook something as well. I dont think there is any reason why a woman that stays home and doesnt leave the house besides drive the kids to school, and appointments,should not have her home clean. If your a new mom with maybe a new born...I understand. But I did it with twins. I mean I wasnt mary poppins...but I made sure the house was kept up, and we all had dinner.

bellamommyof4

Asked by bellamommyof4 at 12:47 AM on Nov. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• (¯`*•.¸,¸.•*´¯)i might want to stay out of it if i were you to lol...everyone is soo diff when it comes to this kinda thing...i personally am a stay at home mom and i keep the house picked up figure out the bills ect..and take care of all our kids...and i cook dinner every night unless we deside to go out for dinner or order something...and yes taking care of the house..the kids..the pets..the bills..the running around for school stuff doc appt ect..ect...is a very very hard job...i think i should get paid..hmmm i might bring that up to the hubby in the morning...lol(¯`*•.¸,¸.•*´¯)
    gracelessstar21

Answer by gracelessstar21 at 12:53 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I was a stay at home mom for 15 yrs. I took alot of pride in raising our boys and assuring my husband when he got home that not only was the house clean, the boys happy and a nice hot meal. It was very important that we all sat down to eat together. I miss those days, so if you're a stay at home mom put pride in your home, it shows!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 12:57 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I personally only think it's fair that the one who stays home with the kids also cleans the house and makes most of the dinners. Of course, I love it when my husband cooks for me occasionally. Especially with how busy it gets balancing 2 kids, school & household chores. The only line I have, is I will not tolerate things just left everywhere (clothes, trash, dishes, etc).
    wolverinemama

Answer by wolverinemama at 1:04 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• His job is to make the money
    Her job is to use the money to buy food and make meals, and make sure the house is not filthy when he is at home watching tv and relaxing after a hard days work. It is her job to care for and feed the kids. His job is to make the money and repair houshold and car problems, to do yard work.
    my husband tells me I don't help him build houses so why should he help me clean. funny thing is he gets mad when I show resentment I guess another part of "my job" is to put my feelings on the back burner, wear my ponytail high up, smile and just be perky no matter what...
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:38 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• This is one of those topics I stay out of in real life.  I've been a SAHM for almost 11 years now and have 5 kids (10, 9, 8, 4 1/2 and 4 months) and I don't feel it's my job to do EVERYTHING around the house.  I might do most of the cleaning since I'm home but I expect my husband to pitch in and he damn sure will be dealing with the kids when he's home so I can take a break.  As for the meals: it's rarely an issue for us because he's usually working during dinner time.  I cook for me and the kids and he eats anything that is left...if he wants it.  I clean when and if I feel like it and won't clean up after the othe members of the family.  I'm not their maid or their slave.  Luckily my husband doesn't care about any of that stuff.  He knows he could never do my job so he doesn't complain (he can't even deal with the kids for an hour without losing his patience).

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:40 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I would stay out of it. I do agree that as a SAHM one of my jobs is to do the cleaning and cook during the week (dh likes cooking and does it on weekends). If there is cleaning needing done on the weekend my dh helps out happily but I don't think its his job. It is better to just nod your head and change the subject when they bring it up though.
    TaraK.

Answer by TaraK. at 2:15 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I would wonder how close these friends were if you aren't open to share your opinion on all topics.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 4:59 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I believe that a housewife should aintain the house ( and I mean to where it is nice, neat and presentable at ll times, and should cook 3 meals a day!. My DH does 50% of the work on his days off, to include cooking, cleaning, and he does almost everything with and for the kids sothat I can have a break, but when he is working, it is my job to maintain the house!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:13 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Me and my SO share all things in the home. While he works I keep the house clean, I cook and yes prepare his lunch for work. Personally I love it. But when he is home he helps me out especially if I have had a particularly rough day. He has 2 days off work and he takes one for himself and the other is mine to do as I please. He will maintain the house and baby and usually we will have leftovers from the previous night for dinner so no one cooks on my night off so that he can start gearing up for work the next day. The point is that every sahm is different just like every working mom is different. So if you want to share your opinion on this with your friends then they should be willing to listen since they expect you to listen to their opinion on it.
    angelmine2011

Answer by angelmine2011 at 10:23 AM on Nov. 27, 2010