How can I dry this milk up fast?

I just had my son one month ago and had to get a root canal done today. The dentist told me that I can not breastfeed while taking the pain killers and antibiotic that he perscribed. My newborn is taking the bottle and seems to like similac over infamil but the problem is me. My breasts hurt and are constantly dripping milk. How can I dry it up fast. Its only been one day and I am so tempted to let him nurse just to relieve the buildup but I definately don't want to harm the baby.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Nov. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I just saw the meds. ALL ARE SAFE, as long as taken as directed. Go nurse that baby.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:55 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• The doctor is WRONG!!! You CAN still nurse while taking most pain killers and antibiotics. Most doctors tell us this because they don;t know and they want to cover their asses. What are the medications? I'm sure they are no different than what is given to moms after C-sections.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 12:54 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• You can hand express to reliev the pain and pressure. Don't do it so kuchrhat you drain your breasts, but enough to take the edge off. You can also try standing in the shower and let the warm water run over yoir breasts. It will let them leak some out, relieving some pressure.
    Have you considered pumping and dumping while taking meds, and then breastfeeding when you've finished them? It's not for everyone, but it is an option to consider. Let me know if you need help if you decide to do that (I'm a lactation specialist).
    Be aware that milk can take FOREVER to "dry up.". I stopped nursing back in March, and I can still express milk. It's all about supply and demand, so if there's no demand, soon your supply will dwindle. But expressing enough to take the edge off won't slow down the process (it may by a very little bit, but it would be worth it to not suffer).
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:55 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Also, some antibiotics are ok, some are not, while BFing. Vicodin is okay while nursing, for pain. Just FYI. If you want to consider nursing through this, there may be an antibiotic option that is safe (but there also may not be). It might be worth asking.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:57 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• You can look up the medications here.  http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/

aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 12:59 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I meant don't do it so much that you drain your breasts (stupid auto correct!).
    Also, you can use breast pads to soak up the excess milk. Be sure to get the ones that DON'T have plastic on the back, so yoir nipples can breathe, and be sure to change them often.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:59 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• You don't have to stop nursing! They should have given you Vicodin. What antibiotic is it? You can request one that doesn't harm the baby. Call your pharmacist and tell them what the doc prescribed and that you are nursing. They will call the doc/dentist and have him prescribe a new/safe one and you can pick it up in a bit and then continue nursing the baby. Don't ever give up nursing because a doc/dentist is too rude to prescribe you something appropriate when you are nursing. Stand up for yourself and your baby!!!
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 1:18 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I never thought about my nipples not being able to breath Musicpisces. Thank you all for your help. The meds are amoxillian, ibuprophen and hydrocodone.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:20 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I would "pump and dump" for a few days, rather than completely give up breastfeeding.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:22 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• You can take antibiotics and pain meds while breastfeeding. Think about it, mothers that have C-sections do it all the time. Call La Leche League and they will confirm. There is no reason to pump and dump. I've been in the hospital on IV antibiotics and IV pain meds and breastfed. The meds you listed are not contraindicated for breastfeeding according to the American Academy of Pediatrics. The hazards of formula are so well documented, you don't want to wean just because you need to take meds when you don't need to. The moms that need to wean are moms that have to go on chemotherapy because no other cancer treatment will work. 

http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/aap-approved-meds.html

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:49 AM on Nov. 27, 2010