Why do people brag?

Does anyone else out there have "friends" who do nothing but brag about their material possessions, kids, etc.? I'm all for tooting your own horn now and then but what about people that constantly talk about what perfect lives they lead, perfect children, best area to live, best husband, new this new that. It's getting old. Would you break off the friendship?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Nov. 27, 2010 in Relationships

• Well sometimes I guess people do things they feel good about and want to share with others to validate themselves.
    TawnyMarlow

Answer by TawnyMarlow at 1:14 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• As Patty Stanger would say, "Nobody likes a Brag-asaurus." You might try talking to her. Just say that while you're glad things are going well in her life, it feels like she's bragging (use specific examples of thugs she's said), or like she has to one-up you. She may not like it, and she may want some space after, but it might be the only way to keep the friendship. Otherwise, you're stuck putting up with it. I think sitting down with her and discussing it is the adult thing to do. It will be hard, but it could be worth it. Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:16 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Hmmmm, I have always heard that "most" people that brag about their material items are usually lacking in something else. So in a sense, they are making up for something they DONT have. Or they may just be really really proud of their things!
    mommy_bink

Answer by mommy_bink at 1:16 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I guess for me worst people for doing that in my life aren't my friends...but my siblings. they're constantly in competition with each other to have the best of everything...even if they can't truly afford it..and THAT'S what bugs me about it. they're constantly bragging up the things they have...but in reality...I just sit back and watch..and actually am thankful I'm not them! they can't even pay their bills half the time...
    I'm very blessed with what I have, we live within our means and are pretty stress free when it comes to money, cause we're smart with it.

they're the same way with their marriages...their hubbies are SO perfect..
    it's whatever, I know better. I don't let them get to me.

:)
    -mrs.mamma-

Answer by -mrs.mamma- at 1:16 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Also, I wouldn't recommend breaking off a friendship just because a person brags, unless they leave you no room to ever talk.
    TawnyMarlow

Answer by TawnyMarlow at 1:17 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I don't have a friend like that. Unfortunately I have a family member like that.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 1:18 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• the one like this we know is a relative so we're stuck with her. but she is constantly talking about what they are buying next and doing and i think it is because that;'s what is on her mind.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:36 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• If it bothers you so much that you'd consider breaking a friendship then is it really a friendship worth putting energy into?
    raynestar

Answer by raynestar at 4:06 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• We broke off our freindship with friends like that. Over time they could care less about what was happening in our lives and only talked about themselves. Exactly about the things you listed in your question. Nothing we did even mattered. It got old. Tried for 20 years though.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:07 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I have a good friend that always bragged about how well her marriage was going, how well her kids were doing & come to find out things weren't going near as good in her life as she'd portrayed. But in your case, let your friend go on ahead & brag but make sure u get your brag on 2! LOL

NubianQueen78

Answer by NubianQueen78 at 8:26 AM on Nov. 27, 2010