after a year of potty training....she still resists

Off and on for over a year, i've been trying to potty train my daughter, she'll be three in Febuary, and she's smart as a whip (she talks in full sentences), yet she still is resistant to using the potty. I know she understands that its not good to go in her pants, cuz she gets that guilty look and runs off. I believe she gets too busy playing and it seems like she just doesn't want to take the time out. What should I do? How can I get her interested? Rewards after going aren't motivating her either. Suggestions?

YungMum_STL

Asked by YungMum_STL at 11:01 AM on Nov. 5, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• honestly? Just back off. Put her in underware, and jeans. Have her help you clean up the mess when she does have an accident. But don't get angry or say or act anything negitive. Just frequently ask her if she needs to go. If she says yes, get excited and love on her and praise her, if she says no, say "how about we give it a try any way??"
    I know its frustrating, but she will get it eventually. we struggled and did all those rewards and stuff with our first only to have him fully potty trained a few months shy of his 3rd birthday, we backed off and just let our second go at his own pace and he was potty trained around the same age...differance...I was much less stressed and frustrated with my second. It will happen. Remeber that alot of it is also muscle control. Sometiems it can take a while for that to kick in.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 11:30 AM on Nov. 5, 2008