I feel like canceling Christmas!!!

We have a lot of teenagers in our family and last year left a really bad taste in my mouth. Not only do they always have an attitude to the point that i want to smack them all but i just got an email form hubbys siblings with a mile long christmas gift list with exactly down to the colors, sizes, prices, brands and where to get them.Between the two of them I counted it they want 4,256.26 in gifts. Last year when we had money we spent about 400 on each of them and never even got a thank you, they just sat there opening them and not even being excited about what they got. Is it me or are they really missing the point of it. After the display last year and how thanksgiving went and how "im entitled" theyve acted all year I want to shit in a box and give them that. Im seriously contemplating not doing anything for anyone this year, were a month behind on our rent and cant afford to eat much, i end up sending my daughter to my moms a lot just so i dont use diapers, food, wipes for a few days. Is it a good idea to not give anyone presents? everyone knows that were not making it right now

leksismommy

Asked by leksismommy at 1:57 AM on Nov. 27, 2010 in Holidays

• If you can't do it this year, then don't. No need to spend money on people or are not thankful. This is what I have tried to suggest year after to year to help up out. Is to do Secret Santa. Everyone picks one name for a hat and buy then just one present, this is if we do a BIG get together.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 12:14 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• If your struggling financially I wouldn't for one. And two...WHAT BRATS! Kids can be so ungrateful. Thats how my cousins are. They stopped getting things and I kept getting them when we were younger and they couldnt figure out why. And to send out a list? I dont know maybe thats normal but I would NEVER do that. Dont waste your hard earned money!
    JakesCupcake

Answer by JakesCupcake at 2:12 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I would NOT waste your time, energy much less your money on those nasty attitude "I'm entitled" brats for one nano-second! Take care of your OWN child(ren) and be satisfied that those nasty brats got a big fat ZERO from you! (I have plenty of dogshit if you need any! lol) I hate seeing how teenagers try to run their parents much less extended family. I would give them a card that says "I thought about getting you EVERYTHING on your wish list.....and it's the thought that counts! Merry Christmas!" Make sure you wrap it in a BIG HUGE box and wrap up some bricks to make it heavy!! lol

Just smile sweetly at them and when they tell you what they want, ask them "How does it feel to want?" and walk away.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 2:23 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• We already made a no gifts for adults this year we will bake and bring goodies but no actual gifts. It comes down to being able to my DH and I being able to buy something small for each other or buying other people gifts. We decided DD and having a nice Christmas here was what was important. All the adults we usually bought for have everything they need so I feel like anything we buy really is just stuff they will have to find room for anyway. If I were you I would say the same thing, Love to spend the holidays with you but cannot afford gifts. It should not matter that is not what Christmas is about any way.
    daisysrdeadly

Answer by daisysrdeadly at 2:12 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Since as you noted everyone knows "you're not making it right now", it could make an awkward situation with the ungrateful teens and their parents easier. Tell their parents that since they know about your financial difficulties this year, you'll not be able to give the kids gifts as in the past. Let the parents tell the kids and if they do happen to send you lists - email or tell the parents you got the kids lists and could they please talk to their kids. It is difficult to discuss things like this, but left unspoken, it leads to resentment and could cause a rift in the family. The teens do not seem to have been brought up to be thoughtful or grateful so they can not appreciate things. Spend what you can on your own little family and try not to let these kids stress you. The last thing you need to be around is negative, greedy people. I hope your situation improves in the near future. Good luck to you!
    etownmom2three

Answer by etownmom2three at 2:30 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• How about doing a name picking game and just getting one gift for that person with a dollar limit and call it a day?

We do it and it so much easier and less stress.

Christmas is supposed to be about spending time together, blah, blah, blah!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:33 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I would point blank do away with gifts this year. If you are barely doing it for your own family you shouldnt be spending a dime on anyone elses. It is mind blowing to even think that someone would pass along a christmas list like that to someone else. In my family we buy for all kids only. If you dont have it you dont give gifts and no one feels put out because they gave gifts and you didnt. It's about spending time with family and gifts are a bonus. I make it a point to spend $10 on the other kids. If I want to do more I will but usually you can get pajama sets for under $20. You worry about your own and if your family doesnt like it than have your christmas alone. You should just give them your christmas list and put your rent and diapers on it.
    brbrowen

Answer by brbrowen at 2:44 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• part one - It's a good idea to keep yourself SANE!   I can't imagine spending 400 on any one kid - I've never had that luxury, not even for my own! This is what I would do - I'd send an email that says something like "In keeping with the TRUE spirit of Christmas and the reasonable limits of our family budget (or leave the budget part out), we have decided to give the greatest gift of all - our love, appreciation and gratitude for the joy you bring into our lives." Then quote these joyous tidings from How the Grinch Stole Christmas, "This sound wasn't sad! This sound was glad! Every Who down in Whoville, the tall and the small was singing without any presents at all! He hadn't stopped Christmas from coming, it came! Somehow or other it just the same!  And the Grinch in his Grinch feet ice cold in the snow, stood puzzling and puzzling, How could it be so?    It came without ribbons!  It came without tags!  It came
    raynestar

Answer by raynestar at 3:28 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• part two - without packages boxes or bags!! And the Grinch stood with his feet ice cold in the snow, puzzling and puzzling, How could it be so? It came without ribbons! It came without tags! It came without packages boxes or bags! And he puzzled 3 hours till his puzzler was sore then he thought of something he hadn't before! Maybe Christmas, he thought,doesn't come from a store, maybe Christmas perhaps means little bit more!" And there you have it you know the rest! Maybe find a small something for each family that reminds them of what Christmas really is. Good Luck!
    raynestar

Answer by raynestar at 3:33 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• My family's gonna just have to be happy getting Visa Gift Cards. Any complaints means they get nothing next time. Its too much hassle this year and we're tight on cash. They need to be grateful not greedy.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:28 AM on Nov. 27, 2010