is this too much tv?

my 10 month old loves watching cartoons. i always have nick jr playing the the backround while he crawls around and plays with his toys. He will usually pay attention to the tv on and off for a few min.

In the morning when he wakes up after his bottle i MUST put the cartoons on for him, otherwise he will throw a fit. He will cry and be really annoyed haha He usually watches them for an hour or so.

If/When we are home in the afternoon/evening he is crawling around playing with toys and nick jr is on as usual...

should i limit how much tv he watches? when he is playing with his toys should i just have music playing? i don't want him to be addicted lol... i know cartoons arent BAD especially nick jr. its very educational BUT... for some reason i feel a little unsure about how much tv is he watching.

any ideas? suggestions? thanks!

-First Time Mommy (only child) I dont know what Im doing lol...

mercilove

Asked by mercilove at 2:23 AM on Nov. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would suggest alternating tv with music, even though many of the baby cartoons have music already. Sometimes the tv pictures, and characters just get to be over-stimulating for young kids. But music playing once in awhile is a great alternative. I am definitely not someone who limits their kids to half hour everyday, my kids watch too! Have fun!
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 2:43 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• You don't HAVE to put anything on for him any time, you're the Mom, you're in charge. How much is too much? I took TV away from my children 15 years ago - gone - pulled the plug! My youngest grew up completely without it, never watched Nick anything, Sesame Street, Barney or Dora. She started writing her first novel at 12 years old! The older kids had withdrawals for about two weeks but after that never looked back and don't like it in their houses. As a matter of fact, the greatest discord in my sons marriage is that his wife has the TV on for the baby all the time.
    raynestar

Answer by raynestar at 3:54 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• We didn't allow TV until age three. Then, it was one hour or one movie a day.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:23 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• TV has been linked to developmental delays, ADD/ADHD, etc. If you need the background noise, play a variety of music (aids brain development, too). http://www.additudemag.com/adhd/article/826.html  http://health.msn.com/health-topics/adhd/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100161248

Answer by rkoloms at 6:25 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• i have had it on for so long i love it. and now at 20months she loves it as well. i watch all sorts of things with her though. when i want to watch something i watch it. so its not always kids shows. she plays on her own too and glances every once in awhile. but she loves pbs shows. and she interacts more now. i say it would be fine. no harm. if he plays and looks at it every now and then i see no harm. actually no developmental delays here and she is not hyper either. it actually calms her. but she isn;t home that much so usually just in the morning and evening before bed.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 8:34 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Experts recommend no TV at all for infants and toddlers. Nick Jr. is not educational and is in no way beneficial for an infant. All that background noise of the TV is not good for brain development. You have gotten used to the TV being on and probably don't know how to function without it. You may be addicting your child to having to have the TV on. My grandson is 2 and the TV is on at his house most of the time but it is never on at my house and his behavior is much different at my house. If the TV is on it is becaue we are going to sit and watch a show or video together. With VCRs DVRs, TIVO, and shows on the internet it makes it easy to watch shows you like when kids are in bed.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:22 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• There have been all kinds of studies on the detrimental effects of TV on young children. It shouldn't be on at all. The studies all clearly show that children who are exposed to TV suffer from that exposure. Shut it off or throw it out. It is terrible for your child.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 5:15 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• TV is CRAP it does nothing good for your child, and many studies show that it causes harm to children. Why would you even feel the need to turn the TV on for a child that age?
    Aniya123

Answer by Aniya123 at 1:09 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Wow how rediculous!! Its just cartoons!! Lighten up! I feel sorry for ur kids being deprived of something so simple and fun like cartoons. Its sad. My son is doing awesome and has watched and enjoyed nick jr since he was 3 months. He is hitting all mile stones and very very smart. You all need to chill out. You are acting as if im exposing my child to heroin. Lol
    mercilove

Comment by mercilove (original poster) at 1:59 AM on Nov. 30, 2010