what to eat to produce more breast milk?

I had a c-section Thanksgiving eve 24th, but I only have colostrum which making breastfeed takes longer and baby is still hungry after feeding for 30min on each breast. It hurts too. When do you normally have milk after c-section? Anything I can do about the blister during breastfeed?

Amy2079

Asked by Amy2079 at 4:10 AM on Nov. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• use some balm on the nipple. Ask your doc for a prescription for reglan, it will help your milk come in. Just don't take it for more than a couple weeks, it has the potential of causing a particular side effect, but only if used long-term.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 4:16 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• This is what worked for me when I was having supply issues:

Nurse frequently
    Drink lots of water, at least 6 oz every time you nurse and every time you pump
    Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby
    Take brewers yeast tabs
    Look at pictures of your baby while you pump
    Wait at least an hour after nursing to pump.

For the blisters, after nursing, rub breast milk on them, and let them completely air dry. Then put on vitamin E oil (from a capsule, keep them refrigerated).

Answer by rkoloms at 7:04 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• It's normal to have colostrum for up to 5 days and that's all a baby needs. Babies are born with extra fluids to keep them ok until the mature milk comes in. The worst thing to do is give bottles. One bottle can mess up a baby's suck and it can take a month for the baby's gut to recover from one bottle of formula. You don't need to eat or drink anything to make milk. You don't need yeast, teas, herbs, oatmeal, or bunches of water. Drink to thirst.

It shouldn't hurt. Check pictures online to make sure you have a good latch. If not you can call La Leche League or a lactation consultant if you need help. Of course you can take pain meds. They should have given you pain meds since you had a C-section. It's important to get plenty of rest since you had major surgery.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:57 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• There is no reason to pump. You want your baby to get every drop of colostrum by nursing. Pumps can cause sore nipples.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:00 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Right now, the best thing to do is to nurse on demand, for as long as baby wants. A newborn is nursing almost constantly at least the first week. Expect to nurse like, 20 hours out of the day. Keep hydrated. Rest as much as possible. No bottles. Use a nipple cream if you need. Lansinoh is ok, and you can find it in most stores, but I like Motherlove, which I can only find online and maybe specialty shops.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:50 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Eat oatmeal. Fenugreek is great for milk supply too.
    Azure

Answer by Azure at 9:17 PM on Nov. 27, 2010