Do you believe in having Teens on restriction/confined to home?

I remember putting one of my children on restriction for a week. It was terrible because I had to be there to and I didn't do anything wrong! LOL

I found taking care of the issue at the moment it happend had better results. First, it didn't go on for what seemed like forever. Second, once done we could move on and work together at making the situation better for all of us. Nothing like having a teen with an attitude problem! LOL

What do you think?

Prayerpartner

Asked by Prayerpartner at 5:13 AM on Nov. 27, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• All teens have an ATTITUDE PROBLEM it's there age. But hey you have to nip it in the butt the minute it happens or there will be nothing changing.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 5:15 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• This is true. Which is why I'm wondering if parents still put their Teens on restriction?
    Prayerpartner

Comment by Prayerpartner (original poster) at 5:42 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Yelp, me too. I guess that's why I only did it once. Reminded me of being on restriction myself, only this time I hadn't done anything wrong! LOL Have learned there are far easier things to do and less stressful ones at that! Like having them make sandwiches and taking them down to those who live on the street. Its a good eye opener of how easy their life really is. Another one is volunteering at the food bank or soup kitchen. I prefer the soup kitchen. Another one I did was having them help children with learning disabilities, like reading & math. Also, going to the Nursing homes and having to help feed or ready to the ppl living there. Let me tell you, it saved me from yelling and fighting with them. We are all strong willed people and it was no use. Now I have adult children who are still helping others! I'm very proud of their choices!

Prayerpartner

Comment by Prayerpartner (original poster) at 6:44 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I love your last statement. I find dealing with it right then and there....is the best.
    VGonzalez73

Answer by VGonzalez73 at 7:20 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• My children got grounded when they did things they shouldn't. I don't believe in spanking so really, there's no other way IMO to show consequences for actions in any other way than grounding/restricting. My sons did not sneak out of the house which I know for a fact their bedrooms were upstairs and the windows are way to high up with no place to drop to, I have always been a night owl & was up until 3-4a & both the front and back door are visble from the living room. They respected us enough to follow through with whatever their restriction was (no house phone time for the older 2-they were teens pre-cell phones, no cell phone time for the younger 2, no computer time, no TV, no video games, no going out with friends on the weekends, etc.). We rarely had to ground them though BECAUSE they didn't want to be restriced.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 12:27 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• My daugher is grounded right now.. It's not something I do often because she is a great kid.. She has been an honor roll student all her life and this year socializing has become more important than her grades.. She is gounded until her grades get back to where they should be.. It may not work for every child but it works for mine.. At this age her friends are incredibly important to her and being away from them gives her the incentive to work harder at her grades so she can hangout with them again.. She has brought them up a full letter grade so far.. It's true that when she is grounded so am I (LOL) but I can't think of myself and what I want first.. I'm her mother.. That's my job..
    Ren_Ren

Answer by Ren_Ren at 8:25 AM on Nov. 28, 2010