Anything natural to help with migrains?

Prayerpartner

Asked by Prayerpartner at 5:21 AM on Nov. 27, 2010 in Health

• OK, this is going to sound crazy but, my mom ( a wise Haitian woman) tells members of my family and my best friend to do this. You know the coffee filter in the coffee pot after you make a pot,: take that  (with all it's content- and put it in a paper napkin.  Go to a dark room lay down and place it directly where you have the migraine. My best friend is a sceptic and pessimist, she swears by it.

emilysmom1966

Answer by emilysmom1966 at 7:40 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Migraines can be a symptom of magnesium deficiency; I take a cal/mag/D daily.

Migraines can be triggered by dehydration (drink at least 8 8oz glasses of water a day) or certain foods. Migraine triggers include (not a complete list) chocolate, nuts, yeast, vinegar, MSG. Try keeping a food diary

Answer by rkoloms at 5:33 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• She needs to go to the ER, they can't turn away people without insurance. This isn't something that can be treated with natural remedies or in a doctors office, she needs to be seen at a hospital so she can have a CT scan or MRI and neurological tests done. Take her to the ER.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:20 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Damn! I would call that hospital that is 2 hrs away and I bet they would fly a heli to come get her!! She could die! She could be hemorrhaging blood in her brain if its getting big again!! Honey, prayer and natural remedies are great and have their place, but this is NOT one of those cases!! Give me a PM with the information: sister's name, location, the hospital she went to, date(s) this all happened and where the other hospital is located and I will call them if you need me to!! I am very very scared for your sister right now! My oldest dd was hit in the head with a 5lb rock when she was 2 yrs old and now has epilepsy with upwards of 100 seizures a day and due to TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury) and meds that treat the seizures she is also DCD (Developmentally & Cognitively Disabled).Who is with your sister right now? Is she alone? How old is she?
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 6:49 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Dear prayerpartner, I am so sorry for your sister and my thoughts are with her. I was going to suggest something like a dark room would be good, light sometimes will bring on a migraine. But this seems very serious. Everything you described seems like an emergency. She needs to go back to the ER for a second check and let them know her symptoms. I hope she gets better and someone is with her at this very moment to keep an eye on her.
    VGonzalez73

Answer by VGonzalez73 at 6:57 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Hylands makes a migraine treatment that I take that I really like. If you go to a store like Whole Foods, that sells natural stuff, and herbal remedies, you can find it. It's much cheaper than ER trips for Demerol or anything like that. Does she qualify for Medicare or disability? Does this interfere with her ability to work?
    I assume she already gets things as dark as possible and as quiet as possible?
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:12 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• hope she is doing well
    asil

Answer by asil at 10:17 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• My sister fell down 15 flights of stairs. She has been having migraines ever since. Its hard to find a Dr. who will see her without insurance. The side of her head had a lump the size of a football. It went down but is starting to get big again. Plus her right eye is getting hard to see out of... I was hoping there was something she could take until we can find someone who will see her.
    Prayerpartner

Comment by Prayerpartner (original poster) at 5:45 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• She did go to the ER. They said they scanned her. But two hours later they sent her home. Her spin has a tumor on it. They never said nothing about it. In fact, when she told them she had one, within a few min. they said she was ok and sent her home. She is throwing up, can't keep food down or be around any loud noise or she immediately has a migraine. This hospital shouldn't even be in business. But its on the coast of a small tourist town and the closest large hospital is 2 hours away. She has no transportation, her Dr. is in another state an hour and a half away. The roads are bad with ice right now. So the only thing I knew to do was ask if anyone had any suggestions she could use until she can get to the hospital. I live three states away and am home bound with illness myself. Alls I can do is pray for help for her.

Prayerpartner

Comment by Prayerpartner (original poster) at 6:32 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Her phone is off. Just tried calling her again. She is alone. I have someone who will take her. just waiting for her to answer her phone because they live in another town. If I don't hear from her in the next hour, I will call the Police dept to do a check on her to make sure she is ok. She may be sleeping since it is only 4am right now. Thank you for your help, advice, and prayers.
    Prayerpartner

Comment by Prayerpartner (original poster) at 7:12 AM on Nov. 27, 2010