What color should I paint?

IDEALLY, I would like to move in two years. I would like to paint the bathrooms SOMETHING other than the boring white that they are now. I want to paint a color that can carry over to the next tenant so that minimal work will have to be done when we do finally leave. I have three bathrooms. I would like to do them all the same if possible...ONE has the 1970's pink tub and toilet and a cream marble sink. TWO has an avacado toilet and cream marble sink. THREE has another avacdo toilet and cream sink. What to do...what to do...

Trim through the house to stay white? Basement to stay white and stairs to go down there staying white. Middle floor has red hallway, linen family room, brown dining room, green kitchen, and honey hall...they all flow nicely. The up up stairs - the hall is honey and the only room that is really painted is my daughters beautiful pink one. :)

augsmom

Asked by augsmom at 8:10 AM on Nov. 27, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Stay with earth tones,,,,,,,,that should blend in good and look neat and clean.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 8:17 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Home Depot used to have this cool paint program where you could flip and switch different colors - to see what goes nice with each other. Its not there anymore. :( I tried linen in one - but did not look good with the countertop. Brown is the only color that goes nice with that avacado. Cream? But then I lose the countertop. Grey can turn blue in the wrong light...
    augsmom

Comment by augsmom (original poster) at 8:24 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Benjamin Moore has a great color that my husband and I used once called Shaker Beige. LOVED IT! It's a great earth tone color that would go with all the color schemes you described. Good luck, I love to paint LOL
    DCNYmommy

Answer by DCNYmommy at 8:34 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I agree on doing earth tones. U can't go wrong w/that.

NubianQueen78

Answer by NubianQueen78 at 9:10 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I don't know exactly WHAT color it is we painted - but it hid the ugly Avacado toilet PERFECTLY. It always stood out like a sore thumb and I have NO IDEA why the builders put in something sink that didn't match anything in ALL the bathrooms...but now it all ties in. Thanks for being supportive guys!!!

Now to tackle - making a double door entrance.
    augsmom

Comment by augsmom (original poster) at 7:13 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• i agree with earth tones
    san78

Answer by san78 at 7:32 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I'll tell you what I did with each of my bathrooms--because I like a clean, uniform look. I have four bathrooms, and decided to paint the upper 2/3's a pale to medium shade paint--(slate blue, lavender, sage green, and terra cotta), and installed white beadboard on the lower 1/3 with chair rail and moulding (Home Depot sells these complete 8 linear feet sets for $45). Painted all of the trim and doors white. And then added coordinating/matching towels, window treatments, shower curtains and bath mats.

In your pink bathroom, I would do the same as I did, and match the pink in the tub/toilet or go at least 2 shades lighter. In the avocado green rooms, I would go with a sage or light olive green, and brown and cream towels, accents, bathmats, etc...earthy "spa" colors. Monochromatic and lighter shades work well because they make the rooms flow and look larger.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:27 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Yes, THANKS! I found I couldn't use any color in ALL the bathrooms. The pink just worked against everything the avocado worked well with! :P It's coming together~
    augsmom

Comment by augsmom (original poster) at 5:58 AM on Nov. 29, 2010