My 2 year old can't poop- help!

He only goes every 3 or so days and has a hard time.... literally. Anyways, what can I give him? He eats okay, not very many veggies... he's picky..ugh

AshJoe05

Asked by AshJoe05 at 11:10 AM on Nov. 5, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• more fruits and veggies
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Talk to his doc, my daughter has always has bowel problems, so they put her on a stool softener. She's been on it for over a year, and she's pretty normal when it comes to her bowels. As long as I remember her meds, she can go comfortably.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 11:11 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Give him pear juice it'll run it right out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• try to find foods that have fiber in them that may help a little bit
    andrea86160

Answer by andrea86160 at 11:49 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I agree with the juice
    bbennington1

Answer by bbennington1 at 11:54 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• my daughter has been this way since she was 8 weeks old. She would only have a bowel movement once every 4-5 days .. and she is still that way at 10 years old.
    She lets me know when it's getting hard to go.. and she drinks certain juices to help her out..
    like White Grape, or Pear Juice. Beware that some juices may help - others can make it worse.. we can't have apple juice because of that.
    It also seems to help to have a lot of water daily. Anytime they are thristy - give water. I only do milk, tea, juice whatever at meal times. (unless the juice is needed)
    4xmommy2008

Answer by 4xmommy2008 at 12:16 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Limit milk and dairy to no more than 20 ounces a day.
    Increase fruits - except bananas.
    Apple juice.
    Talk to his doctor about Miralax. This is NOT a laxative. It does NOT stimulate muscles. It's not absorbed by his body. It just holds on to water as it travels through his digestive system and that makes it next to impossible for his poop to get hard, no matter how long he holds it.

Constant constipation can cause physical problems (enlarged bowel, loss of sensation in the bowel) and emotional problems (fear of going, refusal to potty train). You need to deal with this everyday - not just dose him with something to make him go every few days.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:16 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• ^^ Miralax is what my daughter is on, only she gets Glycolax, it's the prescription off brand, that way we don't pay for it, insurance does. It has worked wonders for my daughter.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 12:58 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I put about 1 tablespoon of Dark Kayro syrup in a sippy cup, and fill the cup up he rest of the way with luke warm water, shake and give it too my toddlers. This has always helped them.
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 2:22 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• As I read this, I feel your pain, my son at this very moment is trying and can't. My ped has him on 2 to 6 oz of Miralax per day until we figure out what is going on. Take my advice, TELL YOUR DR NOW! We have been battling this for 4 weeks now, straight! (Sorry, the caps isn't yelling just stressing the importance.... :) ) We will be seeing a GI Dr in two weeks, but if it gets any worse it might get to be a psychilogical problem than a real pooping problem. J is now on a Very High Fiber diet, and although Veggies are a great source of fiber, there are alot of other things out there....
    sammyjnrtwins06

Answer by sammyjnrtwins06 at 3:30 PM on Nov. 5, 2008