Sticky Situation

I'll give you the Readers Digest version:

I bought my son a black Champion jacket on Halloween. It was a black jacket with white lining ($20). He wore it the next week to a football game, spent the night with a friend, and then we never saw it again - til last week. His friend he spent the night with wore the exact same jacket to our house. My son said to him "I think that's my jacket, the one I left at your house". The friend said "No, this is my jacket."

I stood there watching and then asked him if that was my son's jacket and he said nope. I suppose there is a remote chance that there are two jackets, its just too ironic that it is the same brand, color, and size.

How do I re-approach this subject with the child or his mother without calling the child a liar? I need a tactful way of bringing it up and tact is NOT my strong suit.

cheeseit

Asked by cheeseit at 9:00 AM on Nov. 27, 2010 in Relationships

• Just call the mother and say, Jonnie left his jacket at your house when he spent the night, can you look for it. Thanks.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:04 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I would ask the mother if she had seen my son's jacket. Sometimes kids wear things and the parent may not know where it came from. We are given tons of clothes from people and I do not keep track of everything. Just be nice about it and if she's defensive or weird, just drop it.
    star792

Answer by star792 at 9:04 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Don't even tell the mother what her son said. Just call her & say "My son left his black champion jacket at your house when he slept over & i need it back" If the mother says she doesn't have it, then i would just let it go because it's obvious the family is whack enough to lie throught their teeth. Obviously, the son may have learned how to lie like this from his parents. Also, maybe they really need a jacket for him. If they lie through their teeth, just go to bed thinking that maybe they need that jacket.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:05 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I agree with the first poster.

Answer by older at 9:04 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• The title to your question is perfect! This is about as sticky as it gets. Talk to your son about how important his friendship w/ this boy is, for a $20 jacket. Then if he says he's ok w/ it, talk to the boy's parents. Write down & Practice what you'll say, so you can keep some tact! :) Of course if things go badly, you may just have to be the bigger person, and say to yourself, the boy must need it more- Merry Christmas!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:05 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Just call the mother and say " I am pretty sure Jake left his jacket at your house, were trying to track it down... " --"we thought Bryan wore it over to our house but we didn't want to make a fuss... Could I come over and pick it up? I am gonna be in your area this afternoon, what time would work for you?"...
    Leave it at that and then write your sons name in the front of the next jacket that you get. If the mother tells you nope we got the same jacket because it is cool then chalk it up to a loss. I am sure you can find another one on line.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 9:07 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I agree with the very first poster!! The kid's mother will KNOW that she did not buy that jacket for her son, so when she comes across it I am sure she will scoop it up and give you a call!
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 9:38 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Agree with the first poster.

When the jacket is returned, write his name on it.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 10:15 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I agree- call the mom and let her know your son left his jacket at their house, when is a good time for us to come and get it? Then once the jacket is back write his name in it. If they deny having the jacket, then you may have to get him a new jacket- and write his name in it ASAP.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:33 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• OMGGGGG!!!!!!! There were two coats and my son's lining was off-white and the other kids lining in his coat was white-white! I feel like the worst person in the world right now.

Question closed and thank God I didn't call or accuse him to his face.
    cheeseit

Comment by cheeseit (original poster) at 3:34 PM on Dec. 1, 2010