How do I wean my 19 month old?

If I try and tell her no she flips...lol! I have a medical condition and need to start meds that I can't take and nurse. I have been at it for a week and she just won't. HELP!

getrealgirl1974

Asked by getrealgirl1974 at 9:08 AM on Nov. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• According to the American Academy of Pediatrics there are only a few medications you can take and not breastfeed. The main drugs you can't take are chemotherapy, radioactive drugs, and an old drug they used to use for bipolar disorder. When I was pregnant with my youngest I developed several serious chronic medical conditions and while breastfeeding him 3 years I was on as many as 10 medications at a time. I was hospitalized several times and continued to breastfeed in the hospital on IV antibiotics, steroids, gamma globulin, and other drugs. My doctors realized that the benefits of long-term breastfeeding outweighed any slight risk some minute amount of drug would get in my milk.You can call La Leche League Int. and they will look up your drug and tell you specifics about the drug you are taking.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:22 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• My son is the same way he's 14months. When I told him "no more booby" he would go crazy and throw these little tantrums. I'm still in the process of weaning. Here are some ideas that I heard from others.One person said go cold turkey it's the fastest way. Another person said put vinegar on your nipples.They says it works. I haven't tried yet but I might do the cold turkey idea.

Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 9:43 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Have you looked into what the interaction is? Sometimes medications aren't recommended during breastfeeding only because they reduce your supply. If that's the only issue, you can continue nursing her, and the lowered supply may help you wean, if that's your goal. DS was about the same age when I weaned him. I started offering him water or a snack when he would ask to nurse. Most of the time, he accepted that. When I officially weaned him, I would cuddle him and tell him that Mommy loved him, but we don't nurse anymore. That's what babies do, and he's a big boy. We were down to once or twice a day by the time we stopped, so it wasn't a huge fight.
    Good luck! Let me know if I can help you out. I'm a lactation specialist.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:34 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• the way i did it was i only feed my girl at naps and bedtime,,then cut out one nap feeding a day,then cut it down to only at night..then i weane her completly..
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 3:41 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Cut it down to so many times a day and keep cutting it down to only night then not at all be done.
    MommyTessier

Answer by MommyTessier at 4:31 PM on Nov. 27, 2010