How come he's called the first "African American President" when he's really BI-RACIAL??!

President Elect Obama is just as much white as he is black....so........why is he considered "African American"??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Nov. 5, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes, that is politically incorrect. My son is half Mexican/half white and it irks me when someone calls him Mexican. He looks VERY Mexican(see pics in profile) but he's white as well.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 11:19 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I was wondering the same damn thing! Because it sounds good is all I can figure. Because thats where most his votes came from. The thing is, He's not even African American, because his father was never an American.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• It's because of the way he looks!!!
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 11:21 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Because he is the closest thing to a black man that we have had!!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 11:22 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• i think it is more because he looks more like an afican american than a white person.
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 11:24 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• EXACTLY!!! THAT IS MY QUESTION!!! Unity? He claims to be a unity person? He doesn't even acknowlege his "white" race! He has denounced it in his OWN words - written and spoken - and WHY - WHY isn't it BIRACIAL PRIDE? WHY ISN'T IT HISTORICAL FOR BIRACIALS? HE'S BIRACIAL..........!!!!!
    blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 11:25 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Yes, he's Bi-Racial. But he's the first non-all-white President we've ever had. That means something. It means something for anyone of ANY color. It means that the Presidency is no longer limited to the "all-white".
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:27 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• LaurenKaye....yes, I agree with you! Doesn't it diminish the biracial citizens? ALL biracial. Doesn't it send a wrong message to your son.......pick ONE of your races and go with that?! Doesn't it send the wrong message to America that all biracial people choose one over the other. Why wouldn't Obama himself say loud and proud "I AM BIRACIAL AND I AM PROUD OF BOTH OF MY RACES".........because he chose ONE race....he chose his black race and that is horribly sad!!
    blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 11:28 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• That question probably has a very complex answer. I think the habit of labeling anyone of AA decent as "black" is partially a holdover from slavery days. Back then, if you had any AA in you, you were "black", even if you were 3/4 "white". I think it has a different connotation now though. Rather than being a label placed on you by others, it is now a source of pride for those who self-identify with it. You see the same thing with any group that was considered "lower class" at some point...not just people of color but also people who look"white" but were considered "lower class" such as Irish, Italian, Polish, etc.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 11:33 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• The "african american" side is what he used to promote his chances of winning. They bought into it, and now we are screwed.
    ssbeeners

Answer by ssbeeners at 11:36 AM on Nov. 5, 2008