Are we the only family?

Thanksgiving dinner is ALWAYS traditional food (turkey and the whole fixin's) but for Christmas since it's only a month after we always do a NON traditional meal so that we are not in the kitchen all day and we can visit and play with the kids more. In the past we have done lasagna,homemade pizza, italian beef sandwichs,etc.

I think this Christmas we are going to do 2 soups and then grilled cheese or bread with it.

baby1love

Asked by baby1love at 9:25 AM on Nov. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I am sure you are not alone in this, but families follow tradition, at least mine does. I was born in Cuba and we have "noche Buena" which is a dinner on the 24th, right before Christmas, we have a set menu of what we eat and family gathers once again to celebrate the day that is coming. My kids were born here, but they too follow this tradition to a t!

Answer by older at 9:29 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Sounds good. Or maybe a chicken noodle soup and a chilli. I love my husb's chilli. Best part of our winters here. Hot cocoa is a close 2nd! :) Whatver you decide, just enjoy the time spent w/ family. It makes all the hard work leading up to the 60 seconds of unwrapping, all worth it! :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:29 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Nope your not the only family. I don't feel this big need to make a HUGE meal for Christmas. We always just relax, watch the kids enjoy their gifts, and watch movies later that night. The only time we have ever done anything special was last Christmas because my parents came to visit (they live 12 hours away) so I wanted to cook them a nice meal.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 9:30 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• My Stepfather is Italian. We have always had an Italian dinner for Christmas. We have homemade lasagna, stuffed shells manicotti, salad, and bread. My mom loves it because she can make it all ahead of time and just put it in the oven Christmas day. My mom has been with my step dad since I was 6, and I don't really remember having anything different.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:30 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• My family has steak and mashed potatoes and what ever else my grandma feel like making. She usually makes some of it before Christmas. Then her and my mom and my Aunts will help her and my Grandpa and uncles will be outside grilling steaks and oinios =) Yummy!
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 9:31 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Sounds yummy to me too. We usually have a huge breakfast then just chill the rest of the day. Usually not much happening. So we go very casual for dinner.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 9:33 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I do the big Christmas meal - or at least I always have, not sure what I'll do this year. Our traditional meal is ham, scalloped potatoes, cornbread, and several side dishes. I make everything ahead and can then just put it in the oven on Christmas day and relax until guests arrive. It's pretty simple.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 9:36 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Thanksgiving is the traditional meal and Christmas depends who is here or were we are. If either set of Grandparents are here we cater more to what is traditional to them. If we are some were else it depends on what is traditional for them. This year Christmas is my IL house, and a few of my husbands 5 sibling will be there, so I sure it will be a grand display, it is rare for my IL to have more then a couple of the kids there at any one time.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 9:37 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• We go out to eat.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:37 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Well we usually havea huge meal for both, but theres TONS of people at my inlaws for both holidays! My MIL goes waaay out! My mom is usually a bit more relaxed, not nearly as many people there!
    newmom28

Answer by newmom28 at 9:45 AM on Nov. 27, 2010