• In the Spotlight:

Am I wrong?

We only have one car seat. It is in my vehicle. I have asked my DH when he goes out by himself, please do not take my car because if something would happen, I would not have the car seat. He still does it. Just this morning he went out shopping and took my car. I didn't mind before we had our son, because it really didn't matter, my 11 year old doesn't need a car seat.  But now we have an 18 month old and if he would fall or something would happen, I have no way to take him anywhere! How would you feel if you were in the same situation? How can I bring this up to him again without sounding like a nag?

BTW, I have suggested buying another car seat, and he keeps insisting we don't need one because when we all go out together, we use my car as it is more of a family vehicle.

layh41407

Asked by layh41407 at 9:53 AM on Nov. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• While he needs to respect your feelings, you can always call 911 for an emergency. It may not be the most cost effective but it is an option.

Also, you might look into a second car seat for his car. They are fairly cheap (@$50)
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:56 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I am the same way! There have been plenty of times where my DH wanted to take the van to work so that he can haul all of his gear in it without worrying he'd get it stolen out of the bed of his truck (he's military). I always ask him to remove the car seat ahead of time and put it in his truck just incase something happens so that I am not left without it, and I also don't have to scramble around during an emergency to get the car seat strapped into his truck properly. He thinks it's a pain in the butt but IDC! We haven't bought a 2nd car seat because this doesn't happen THAT often..but if it's becoming a routine thing I would definitely buy a second one regardless of what he thinks..or just make him switch the one you have
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 9:57 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• You need to keep on harping, maybe it will annoy him enough to listen!

Answer by older at 9:57 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I would just get another car seat. It never hurts to have a back up seat. I have two seats myself. One that will stay in the car I primarily use and the other for if my son goes off in another car, like with his grandparents or such.
    angelmine2011

Answer by angelmine2011 at 9:59 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Had the same problem that you do. I just ended up buying another carseat (he was not happy about that) but I refuse to be stuck somewhere in case of an emergency.
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 10:10 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Just get him to put the carseat in the other car before he takes your car anywhere. I know it's a huge hassle, but then you'll either have the carseat, or he will not want to deal with it and will leave you your car. Either way you get the carseat! =)
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 10:23 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I say buy another car seat.
    WhitleyLyles

Answer by WhitleyLyles at 11:26 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Maybe a friend or family member has one they no longer use you could keep as a back up

Answer by admckenzie at 12:06 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I, personally, don't see the big deal. But, then again, we only have one car and it has all the carseats in it and my husband takes it to work every day so it's gone from 8-16 hours a day. I don't have my own car. Only once have I had to call him during an emergency to come home with the car (that was when our 9yo was 2 and I accidentally dislocated his elbow...ouch).
    I've even told my kids not to fall out of trees and stuff because I don't have a car to get them to the ER (obviously if they were really hurt I'd call 911).
    And this whole summer I had absolutely no car. My husband moved to another state so we took the bus or walked everywhere.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:20 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I would take the car seat out of the car and have him put it in anytime you go somewhere. It will either get him to stop taking your car or to buy another car seat. It is impractical to call 911 for every little thing just because you can't drives safely with your baby.
    TaraK.

Answer by TaraK. at 5:14 PM on Nov. 27, 2010