S/O on the baby monitors question

I heard about this issue a few weeks ago, I've been too busy to getting around to posting it.

Anyway, what do you think about Google admitting that they"accidentally" collected personal email addresses, URLs and PASSWORDS from those who have WiFi systems in their homes or go to internet cafe's and libraries that have WiFi?!?  Apparently, their Google earth "street view" vehicles picked up this information from anyone using their computers while the vehciles were travelling down the respective streets.

Okay, so this kind of stuff CAN happen, given our advanced technical capabilities and mobile applications, but what concerns me the most is this statement from Alan Eustace, senior VP of engineering and research:

"We want to delete this data as soon as possible, and I would like to apologize again for the fact that we collected it in the first place."

Does it concern anyone else that they say they WANT to delete the erroneously gathered information ASAP, but haven't done so?!  WHAT are they waiting for?!
"Google has deleted the data collected from Ireland, Austria, Denmark and Hong Kong, but other countries have opened their own investigations, and Google has not been given permission from authorities to delete the data."

http://articles.cnn.com/2010-10-22/tech/google.privacy.controls_1_wifi-data-alan-eustace-google-s-street-view?_s=PM:TECH

LoriKeet

Asked by LoriKeet at 10:23 AM on Nov. 27, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• So I guess they are using the Patriot Act to hold onto this info?? I don't see how else they could even remotely consider it "evidence." There is no reason that whatever isn't "evidence" shouldn't be destroyed...........unless of course they are just hanging on to it and hoping it will turn into evidence in the future....
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:47 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Well, it's right there. You even bolded it. I don't understand the question. It's evidence. You can't destroy evidence...not even the great and powerful Google can destroy evidence.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 10:33 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Nothing on the internet is ever 100% private, people who run sites can see your passwords that you create and read your email, hackers can get into your bank account, especially if you use same passwords for everything.
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 10:41 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• You can't destroy evidence...not even the great and powerful Google can destroy evidence.

***
    Evidence of what?! There wouldn't have BEEN a law suit, if they had simply destroyed the information they gathered as soon as they gathered it.

Have you ever received someone else's mail by mistake? Did you return it, destroy it, or hold on to it until you were legally required to do something about it?! I received someone's tax refund once--my address, wrong name, and nothing prevented me from RETURNING it to the rightful owner/recipient.
    LoriKeet

Comment by LoriKeet (original poster) at 12:41 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Thank you YSK...I was afraid I didn't write my post in clear English!! LOL
    LoriKeet

Comment by LoriKeet (original poster) at 12:50 PM on Nov. 27, 2010