Thoughts?

What are your thoughts on this verse?

Ecclesiastes 7:20 - There is not a single person in all of the earth who is always good and never sins. (NLT)

Indeed, there is no one on earth who is righteous, no one who does what is right and never sins. (NIV)

For there is not a just man on earth who does good And does not sin. (NKJV)

For there is not a just man upon earth, that doeth good, and sinneth not. (KJV)

Indeed, there is not a righteous man on earth who continually does good and who never sins. (NASB)

Because there is not a righteous man on earth that doth good and sinneth not. (YLT)

purpleducky

Asked by purpleducky at 10:45 AM on Nov. 27, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Simple.. No one is 100% good 100% of the time..
    Ren_Ren

Answer by Ren_Ren at 10:46 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• It is very true and accurate, only some seem to think that some sins are worst than others and emphasize on them.

Answer by older at 10:48 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• it means everyone is a sinner. why do you ask? the verse is kinda blunt if you ask me
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:53 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I agree. It means no one is sinless. There was only one sinless person who ever walked the earth. Jesus, and He took all the sins of the world on Himself, when He was crucified.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 10:55 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Army - I ask because Jesus was a man yet many claim he was without sin. Isn't this a contradiction within the Bible? Yes I understand Jesus was supposed to be more than man but he was God in flesh so he was man.
    purpleducky

Comment by purpleducky (original poster) at 11:00 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• It is true. There is no one that does not sin. Also all sins are considered to be the same "level" in God's eyes. There is no sin that is worse than the other.
    the fact that Jesus was divine and human is how he was able to not sin. He did not do HIS WILL--he did his Father's will. his Father was God-- so if he was doing God's will he could not sin, because it is not God's will to sin.
    Jesus had a Divine-Human nature. The human flesh form he took on only served one purpose: so he could dwell among us. He did not come to live as a typical human. He came so he could be God with us. Immanuel. He had to have a human body so he could take our sin upon himself and be the Ultimate Sacrifice on the cross.
    WhitleyLyles

Answer by WhitleyLyles at 11:11 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• OP ... Ecclesiastes is OT and was written before Jesus was born ....

And to answer your original question ...

In the OT, the terms “righteous” and “righteousness” do not refer exclusively to ethical or moral behavior but can also refer to being “right” or “just” in one's cause (e.g., in a legal case; see Deut. 25:1), which appears to be the sense that the Preacher has in mind here. He has observed instances in which a person who was technically in the right still lost his case, while someone who was actually in the wrong won the dispute (cf. Eccles. 8:14).

I think it is also interesting (and ironic) to note, that you have quoted from a section of Scripture that contrasts wisdom and folly.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 11:55 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Basically and most simply? Even the best person on this world makes mistakes from time to time. We just have to do our best to make good decisions every day, but there will always be times where we make the wrong choice.
    PaganMommy04

Answer by PaganMommy04 at 12:00 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• All these verses just make me really thankful for the Grace and forgivness of God.
    A.Perry

Answer by A.Perry at 12:08 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I think they claim that Jesus was without sin so that the concept of the atonement makes more sense. They say that he wasn't really man, that he was God as man, etc, etc.

I personally don't believe in the atonement, and I do believe that Jesus was just a man, and that none of us are perfect. I do believe, though, that he was better than most of us, though. Kind of like how you think of sages, that's how I think of Jesus. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:21 PM on Nov. 27, 2010