If you live paycheck to paycheck like I do...

I would be very appreciative to hear your budgeting and money-saving strategies that work. I would also really, really like to get some bank recommendations... mine is not interested in protecting my money, only taking it, and I cannot afford that. Thanks!

figaro8895

Asked by figaro8895 at 11:28 AM on Nov. 5, 2008 in Money & Work

• Dave Ramsey!!! Google him!!!
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 11:32 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• It looks like alot of his stuff has to do with debt... I don't have debt other than a student loan. Are you kidding? Who is going to give me credit??? My credit has been screwed up thanks to medical bills I cannot afford, my bank stealing my money, etc. I will check out his budgeting tips though.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 11:47 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• We added up our rent and car payment, the two bills that have to be paid on the first, and divided it into four. We take that out of the paycheck every week and hide it. The rest of his paycheck goes to paybills. My paycheck which gets cashed goes to groceries and daycare...If there's anything else we get to go to dinner every once in a while.
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 11:51 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Plan out your meals weekly. From breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner. When you go to the store, you don't spend as much. AND you don't have to think about "what's for dinner."
    Buy in bulk. TP, Paper towels.
    Track your spending for a month. You should see some places that you can cut out. ie: starbucks, bottled water, fast food, etc.
    Feel free to message me if you have specific questions...I'm not a pro but I was in your boat for many years
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 11:54 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• http://www.angelfoodministries.com/menu_0811en.asp

Angel food ministries is a great place to save on food (which is a large expense for most families) -- there is no qualification process, no income requirements.  It's non-profit.  They have a different "box" of food you can buy every month for $30 and it's enough to feed a family of four dinner for a week.  We have bought a box + they have add-on boxes for extra meat, veggies, etc.  For $50 I bought most of the meat I needed to get us through a month.  Huge savings.

Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 11:59 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• thank you for the information on Angel Food Ministries! Wow!! This reminds me: there is a Backpacks for Kids program (my daughter's too old) that others who look at this question might find helpful.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 12:06 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• There are tons of ideas for saving money. Something I thought was a neat idea - whenever you "save" money doing something -- SAVE the money you didn't spend. For instance.. if you go to the grocery using coupons and sales -- on your receipt it says you "saved" 23.00 on your 60.00 shop. Take that 23 dollars you would have spent before on groceries and put it in savings. If you do use the Angel Food and it saves you $100 a month on groceries -- throw that into savings! It doesn't all have to be huge amounts, even if you only save 5 dollars here and there, it will add up. (Savings doesn't have to be an account, it can be a jar hidden behind your seasonings)
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 12:15 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Email me. I only have minimal debt as well, maybe I can help you. **hugs**
    alittleandabig

Answer by alittleandabig at 12:31 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Uggh I have 30 grand or more in hospital and doctor and dental visits,plus 50k in IRS bills, we live in a manufactured home park,we dont own the house yet,we cant file bankrupt because of our taxes,=[ I can't answer my home phone either. We just barely scrape by and we dont eat out accept for papa murphys once in a blue moon. We dont even have money to save for a rainy day,I really feel stuck!
    Anonymous

• I started a simple spread sheet to track all of our spending. We used our bank cards only for a little while so we could track everything. We were amazed at many little purchases we made that added up. After two months, we set a budget and trimmed a few items. Also, when we get paid we put at least $50 in our savings. We treat it like a bill. Then, if we can do more, we do that too.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 7:21 PM on Nov. 5, 2008