My brother is addicted to Herion, Im scared he will OD and die!!! adult content

I got a call from my little brother the other day who was crying, very agitated and angry. He told me that he had not ate in 3 days, has no money, lost him job and on top of all of that he has been addicted to Herion for the past 4 months. I have lost 5-6 people in the past few years from drug over doses and im so scared that im going to get a call from someone saying that my little brother (25) is dead. I have been on line searching for Rehab places and treatment facilities and have found quiet a few and wrote down info and numbers. He says he wants help. But im scared that he wont accept it when it comes time to actually get it. Any suggestions would help. Please no bashing. This is a hard thing to deal with knowing that my baby brother is addicted to such a harsh drug.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Nov. 27, 2010 in Health

• I dont think he can behelped unless he wants to-- that is pretty obvious though. I dont know exactly what you are asking. Are you wanting to know if you should suggest rehab?
    WhitleyLyles

Answer by WhitleyLyles at 11:18 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Heroin is serious stuff. He called you for help and that's a good sign. Get him to the rehab today, don't wait. If he changes his mind about going there is nothing you can do.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 11:21 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• You absolutely right...unless it him that looks for the help, he won't work through it coming from someone else. I'm not talking shit either...I'm a recovering alcoholic/prescription drug user and unless he's sick and tired of being sick and tired...this thing could kill him before he gets to that point. Get him the info...tell him you will take him IF HE WANTS TO GO and that you will support him every step of the way. Now, his job is to say her and to let you take him. Also, before you go crazy looking for places...remember that unless he has insurance rehab can be expensive unless he goes to a state facility. Your best source of information is your local Narcotics Anonymous (NA) chapter. They can provide you with all the information you need. Good luck and please keep us posted.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 11:21 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• i know what you're going through. i have lost friends to drugs(some still alive and struggling). its up to him to accept it, they say the first step is admitting you have a problem. all you can do is offer help to him and pray for him. im sorry you have to go through this.
    shan02

Answer by shan02 at 11:22 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Sorry to hear of your brother. I hope he gets the help he needs soon and you'll be his biggest support.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 11:28 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Thank you so much for the advice....its very hard knowing he has a problem. a few years back he was addicted to crack cocaine and pills and i dont even know what else. My family has stopped talking to him and helping him with everything. His own mother (my mom also ) wants nothing to do with him because he wont change. So its up to me to get him help. He told me because he trusts me, he has told no one else and has made me promise not to tell anyone in our family. They already think bad of him for the past things he has done. With it being the holiday weekend everything was closed when i tried to call places. I was able to talk to Crisis Care this morning about it and where i need to take him to get evaluated. I will have him call first thing monday morning to talk to someone. What makes things worse is Thanksgiving day when i talked to him and he told me all of this, he said he had not eaten in 3 days cause he has no food.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:29 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• he's 25? jeez I don't know much about siblings, since I am an only child. So is my DH. But we've discussed at length about if our kids got into drugs. We're not above locking them into a room, forcing detox, and breaking a few laws if it means saving their lives.

25 is old, though. Any rehab/treatment he'd get for free or sliding scale, imho, wouldn't work. The best places w/ highest success rates are most expensive. .... he'd need either methadone or a medical coma til the illness would be out of his system, then he could focus on recovery w/ out the intense distractions.

An unpleasant but potentially life saving idea: have him w/ you when you know he's high and/or has drugs on him and call police. At least in jail you know he'd be alive, eating meals, warm, safe, and have access to medical treatment and resources.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 11:30 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• That is very true hibbingmom, But if he knew that i was the one who called the police on him and put him back in jail/prison he would never talk to me again. He already has a past of being in Jail and Prison which really looks bad on his record. But you are right , that is an option !
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:34 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• my in laws are heroin addicts, here in CA they have medi-cal and they get methodone for free... but they still do heroin
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 11:48 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• i have no suggestions, but good luck.
    asil

Answer by asil at 10:09 PM on Nov. 27, 2010