Potty training an ADULT dog?

We have a 6 year old English Mastiff. We went on vacation 2 weeks ago & ever since then he has been pottying in the house! I dont understand it! He has had almost NO messess since he was a pup & now all I do is clean up messes!
I took him to the vet to see if he was sick & all his tests came back fine. The vets advice was "keep him on a routine" he has been on the same routine for 6 years! ahh! HELP!

CayShek

Asked by CayShek at 11:43 AM on Nov. 27, 2010 in Pets

• Go back to the basics with crate training. He'll get back into his old habits soon enough.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:45 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• he's upset with you for leaving him alone. just be grateful he's not eating the furniture. i think you should stick to his routine and once he realizes you're not going anywhere he'll start behaving again
    fryjm516

Answer by fryjm516 at 11:48 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I agree with the crate training.

Answer by older at 11:48 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Dogs are really weird about that stuff. Any little change in their daily routine can mess them up. I think if you try going back to the basics for a little while, he will catch on again real soon.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:52 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• If he was in a kennel or had a pet sitter while you were gone then he was not on his normal routine. I would treat him lilke he was a puppy again for a bit and that should help him get back into the routine
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 12:02 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• If he is having pooping accidents, then that is a sure sign of anxiety or stress, most likely triggered by the home alone episode. Six years of age is considered senior for this breed, and other problems can trigger the accidents in the house. Was blood work done as well as a urine check? Most likely he is really off track, as others have suggested. Besides the crate training, I would also start monitoring his food and water and try to give him a little more exercise in the day, if possible.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 9:50 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Sounds like he's depressed about you leaving for that long, and he's taking it out on ya'll. I'd go back to basics.. treat him just like a puppy.. never out of your sight, and when you can't keep him with you, put him in a crate.
    HeatherReneeB

Answer by HeatherReneeB at 1:42 PM on Nov. 29, 2010