how to soothe a colicky baby

i think my son may have colic but i am not too sure. can anyone explain the causes? how to soothe him?

aserran4

Asked by aserran4 at 11:29 AM on Nov. 5, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How old is your son? Colic is usually when a baby cries for 3 hours a day at least 3 days a week. It is usually worse in the evenings and night time. For not particular reason. They should NEVER cry in pain. If your baby is doing a high pitched pain cry that's NOT colic. I am so against "colic" and think it's a cop out term used. My son cried after every feeding and would arch away from his bottle and was just an exceptionally fussy/crying baby. All doctors kepts saying is that it was colic. Whatever! He had silent acid reflux (he never spit up). Do some research on the web and you'll find that colic is caused by reflux a lot of the time and parents are just told its "colic".
    BabyBreyen

Answer by BabyBreyen at 11:36 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• If you are nursing, try drinking Chamomile tea. Be strong...this too shall pass
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 11:48 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I thought my son had colic he ALWAYS cried! he was up almost 24 hours one time crying I was going crazy my husband was going crazy and so was my baby. It turned out he had acid reflux. Is your baby arching his back? Is feeding him tough? (though some babies can eat more when they are in pain because of the sucking instinct) I would talk to your doctor and explain to him the situation. Just remember too spitting up is not the only sign of acid reflux my baby never spit up.

the only way i could tell you to help him other than going to the doctor....My baby was only happy during the crying spells when he was laying on my chest (tummy to tummy) i think being close to mom and being able to hear her heart beat helps soothe them
    luvsgriffin

Answer by luvsgriffin at 12:21 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• My daughter had colic. Her pediatrician called it "fussy baby syndrome". I wasn't able to breastfeed so she had been on Similac and her doctor changed her formula to Nutramigen. The was it was explained to me was colic is where there's an air bubble in the baby's tummy that won't go away. So I changed her formula and her bottles (Dr. Brown bottles with the funky straw in them worked the best). This only lasted for about two months and now she's the happiest baby I've ever seen in my life!
    SarasMommy1224

Answer by SarasMommy1224 at 12:26 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Go to your nearest convenience store or pharmacy and purchase gas relief drops. It will work.
    SugaB28

Answer by SugaB28 at 2:34 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• We did the similiar thing as SarasMommy above. Put my son on nutramigen, partly due to his insides being so full of gas and being allergic to formulas with milk. I breast fed but he had thrush and passed it onto me, and it was just too much. If you put him on nutramigen and give the intestines and belly and everything time to settle down, we took a little over a month, then began to introduce soy formula in with it. I would mix 4 cups water and formula and fill my bottles for the 24 hour day. I started with one scoop of soy and the other 15 scoops of nutramigen. Slowly upped the soy, we are now only 3 scoops of nutramigen and the other 13 soy. Every baby is different, but what I learned is suddenly switching formula is too harsh on their digestive system. So you have to mix it so their system adjusts to it, avoided all that gas and other problems. My boy is 12 weeks and so much happier now. Good luck!!
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 8:42 PM on Nov. 5, 2008