What do you feel is the perfect age to start having children?

20, 30, 40? If you are in these age groups -- what were some pros & cons to conceiving at the age you did?

CayShek

Asked by CayShek at 11:54 AM on Nov. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• Early 30's or mid 20's.

Answer by older at 11:56 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Early 20's. I had my first at 19 which was perfect for me. I wanted all my kids before I turned 25. Having them young gave me the energy to care for them and it also helped me to grow into a much better person. Now I am 33 with 3 kids, a nice home, great hubby,and since my kids are older I have the freedom to be a full time college student while they are all in school all day. It has worked out well.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 11:57 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Personally? 20's.

I know some mom's who've had good experiences in their 30's and 40's, though.
    DazzlednSeattle

Answer by DazzlednSeattle at 11:59 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• mid 20's. i had my first when i was 20. the only con of it was little college educational experience and having to put it on hold. then i continued and had another at 22 and my last at 23. if i had waited til i was 23 or 24, i could've been done with college and had a financially stable job and be able to provide more than i can now. but all that will come in time and now im just enjoying their young years while i can. i dont want to say that 40 is "too old" but there are risks involved when you're of that age also - apparently the risk for genetic disorders goes up and the chances of multiples goes up as well, along with getting pre-eclampsia and such.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:59 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• 18 or 19... I was 22 when I had my oldest and if I could go back I would have been much younger. I feel like I was to old to just be starting. Now I'm 27 and having my third child and I don't know how I'm going to do it at this point... To me 27 is way to old to have babies... So 18-25 is really in my mind the perfect window for children.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:59 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• When you're ready. I was 28 when DS was born. I wish life had allowed me to start sooner, but it hasn't panned out that way. I like that I have the energy and the maturity to deal with what life hands us now. I may not have had it when I was younger. I just don't want to be 60 at our youngest kid's high school graduation, ya know? I also wanted to be younger when my kids grew up and went off to college.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:00 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• when I turned 26 it seemed like I woke up one morning feeling I'd reached mental adulthood. I'm 35 now and have a lot more patience with the teens as well as the babies.  (my teens do not have babies - I'm a foster parent)  I always had sort of a high strung impatient personality.  I hate that my parents where 40 when I was born.  They were active with me but my dad died when I was 18 and by the time I got out of my wild oats spree my mom was too old to do fun things with me.  If I had my preferrence I'd say later 20's.     

RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 12:00 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Mine were born when I was 33, 35, and 37.
    I think 27-30 is the perfect age, but I think I would have had a couple more if I had started earlier. I waited a little later because it took awhile to find the right guy. We are not stressed about money and I can stay home- probably wouldn't have happened at 20. I'd have had more energy if I had started sooner, though.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 12:00 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I started having mine at 20. I had 3, almost 3 years apart. It worked out well for me.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:01 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I don't think there is a perfect age. It really depends on where you are at in life and what you want out of life. I had my son at 22 and even though he was planned, looking back, I wish I had waited longer. I wish that I had finished college and saved up some money before he was born. However, I don't regret having him when I did and I wouldn't trade having him for anything.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:03 PM on Nov. 27, 2010