Do you let your kid win?

When you're playing board games and such, do you play in such a way that they win every time?

I don't. I think if you're going to play a game, you should play it right. If you let the kid win every time, he/she becomes a bad loser.

makelineerror

Asked by makelineerror at 11:54 AM on Nov. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• nah, my oldest is only 4 so our games are such like chutes & ladders and candyland and memory is her favorite. she's excellent at memory! and there is really no winner in that game. but anyways we play the right way and she loses gracefully.. lol. but when everyone has finished she says "yay we all winned!" she's a good sport =)

now outside running around, i pretend i cant run very fast and let her beat me. lol
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:56 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Nope. Part of playing a game is learning to loose...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:56 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Never!
    They play fair with me or I don't play at all. The rest of the world won't "let them win" and I don't want them expecting it.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 11:58 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Never have.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:59 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• When they were small we played just to play with no winners or losers. When they were old enough to understand I did play and let them win to show them how to lose without acting like a loser. When I thought they were ready I began winning but still praised them for their effort. Learning is a process even in games. Teaching them to lose a game without getting upset is just as important as teaching them to try to win

Answer by admckenzie at 11:59 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• No. If it is a game you will always win you can give them an advantage to make it more fair. For example in Battleship you could take away the little ship to make it easier for them. I always gave my kids some points to start with in Scrabble and I couldn't use words they didn't know. We homeschooled so we played games more than most families.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:00 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• He's only 2, so we haven't started board games, but we don't plan to let him win every time. Kids need to learn how to be a good sport when they don't win. But they also need to learn how to be a good winner and not brag and make fun of the loser.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:01 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• "For example in Battleship you could take away the little ship to make it easier for them"

Ahh, Battleship. The game that teaches you to lie. (o;
    makelineerror

Comment by makelineerror (original poster) at 12:05 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• If it's a game of chance (like Chutes and Ladders) whoever wins...wins. If it's a game that involves some skill I'll usually fudge the game a little to give them an advantage because I obviously have a good 25 years experience on them. It wouldn't be any fun for them if I won every time because I understand the game better than they do. I don't play a lot of games with them because all they do is fight and the 3 older kids get way too competitive (and whoever isn't winning is throwing a fit like a toddler). My husband is the same way. I hate playing with extremely competitive people. The game should just be about spending time together and having fun, not who wins. But, apparently, I'm the only one that feels that way.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:07 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

************
    it's like that at my house too-games cause a lot of fighting usually
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:55 PM on Nov. 27, 2010