How do you transition a baby from formula to milk?

firethearson

Asked by firethearson at 12:08 PM on Nov. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At a year old, I started putting milk in the bottle....if they didn't like the taste, I put half milk half formula and slowly cut out the formula....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 12:11 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I wish I could help you. One day, my son just refused to drink formula so I switched him to milk and he loved it. Here is a bump for you though.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:11 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• You can start by using 1/4 of the bottle/sippy with whole milk, the rest with formula, then after a few days if this is handled switch to half and half and eventually get to all milk. But some babies love the taste of milk, you can always put just whole milk into the bottle or sippy and see if your baby likes it and drinks it. I pretty much did half and a half for a few days before switching to all milk, but my daughter prefers the milk to the formula so it was an easy switch for her
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:12 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Slowly mix milk into the mixture. I started with 3/4 formula and 1/4 milk for a week or two. The 1/2 formula and 1/2 milk for the next week or two. Then 1/4 formula and 3/4 milk for a week or two then after that I just put nothing but milk in her bottle.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 12:12 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I never mixed it though I understand the concept. We just started offering cups with small amounts of milk in it around 11 month. Formula went in bottles and milk or water went in cups. They were weaned off the bottles and formula at the same time. My DD had bottles of formula until close to 15 months.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:22 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Cow milk is for baby cows, and humans don't need it. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. While cow mild is rich in protein, the kind of protein that is contains is casein, while human milk protein is lactalbumin, with is easily digestible; more the 50% of casein isn’t digested and can cause health problems later in life, like food allergies. Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 3:50 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• rkoloms. That is true... but not the question. Just because you don't *have* to doesn't mean she shouldn't *want* to.
    Anonymous

• I started by mixing it 1/4 milk 3/4 formula for like two or three weeks (she had been REALLY sensitive to milk products, so we were taking it slow and watching for any reactions), then increased it to 1/2 and 1/2 for a couple of weeks, then 3/4 milk 1/4 formula for a couple of weeks, then I started giving her cups of nothing but milk every other time she got one (the other times it was still the mixture, til I ran out of formula).
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 8:25 PM on Nov. 27, 2010