My Husband wants to join the Marines?

My Husband has a great job working on a farm. he came home about 8 months ago & said that he wanted to join the Marines. I thought that he was just kidding but turns out he's not. He's being 100% serious. We just decided to start TTC & i'm scared. I'm scared to be a widowed young mother! I'm scared to have children grow up with out a dad. He says I'm exaggerating. Am I? If you Husband is in the Military -- how has it worked out for you? What are some things you wish were different?

CayShek

Asked by CayShek at 12:18 PM on Nov. 27, 2010 in Relationships

• It's only normal to feel that way but don't let it worry you too much. My husband has been in the Army for 10 years 7 active & 3 reserve. He will be deploying again in a couple months & will be going back active. We have talked allot about what he wants to do and he has decided to retire from the Army, it wasn't easy to hear him say that in fact because he has such a great job now and i thought everything was fine but he has expressed how much he misses the Army and how accomplished it made him feel, just knowing that your doing something good and how happy he was doing something he enjoyed. This deployment he had a choice if he wanted to go or not & he chose to deploy. It scares me of course because he is at a greater risk of being hurt or even killed and he has already suffered PTSD but has pretty much overcome it but i support him completely in everything he does and only want to see him succeed.    
    iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 2:45 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• First off, let me point out, that he could die any time, in any line of work. Joining the military is not an automatic death sentence. I know several guys who have gone through multiple deployments, only to come home and get killing in motorcycle or car accidents. So don't focus on the "what if's"...it will cripple you.
    My husband has been in the military for going on 7 years. For us, it works great. There are some wonderful benefits and down sides as well...just like any line of work. The separations are tough, but there are ways to make the best of that time. My husband and I have worked at growing closer together during deployments and our marriage is stronger as a result.
    Just like anything in life, the military is what you make of it. If I were you, i'd join a military wives group, ask questions and TALK to your husband, but most of all support him.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 12:22 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• My husband was in the Army for 8 years (4 years active, 4 years reserves). He did 3 tours, 1 to Bosnia, and 2 to Iraq. The biggest thing that he wishes that he would have done differently was his MOS. He picked Infantry so that he could play with the "cool toys". Looking back, he wished he would have gone with a job that taught him a skill and one that would not have kept him in the field all the time.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:23 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• My SO has been in the Air Force Special Ops for over 20 yrs. He's not dead yet.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:39 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• My husband and i were both in the Marines for 4 years. We both did a tour in Iraq and both of us are back safe in the US. Let your hubby fulfill his dream of becoming a Marine. Don't be so worrisome. If you have any questions or concerns you can come to me. I've been on both sides of the spectrum. I've been a Marine wife before I became a Marine myself.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 12:41 PM on Nov. 27, 2010