Michelle Obama Wears $495 Prova Scarf to Hand out Food to the Needy

Keeping with tradition, First Lady Michelle Obama stopped by Martha's Table on Wednesday to give out food on Thanksgiving Eve.

She served in style, pairing a cream colored sweater with an embellished scarf from Prova (merci, Mrs. O!), the same label that created the headscarf she wore in Jakarta.

www. huffintonpost. com

wearing crown

SavageGrl

Asked by SavageGrl at 12:45 PM on Nov. 27, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I still love LAST YEAR'S picture...taken at Miriam's Kitchen in DC (we later learned she was wearing her $500 sneakers)

Nice CAMERA PHONE that man has! *sigh*

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:02 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I like this quote from A Horse and His Boy- ""For this is what it means to be a king: to be first in every desperate attack and last in every desperate retreat, and when there's hunger in the land (as must be now and then in bad years) to wear finer clothes and laugh louder over a scantier meal than any man in your land."
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:56 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• She had a huge outcry for the sneakers she chose for last year.

IMO, when the country is in desperate shape the leadership ought to show restraint in their personal lives. It makes them appear disconnected. Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean it's in good taste.

I could go to my in laws, drink two bottles of wine, and tell them how I feel about their recent behavior, but that's not very bright.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:54 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• yet no one criticized Princess Diana for what she wore while serving the poor?

They did. Just because you weren't paying attention doesn't mean it didn't happen.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:27 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I agree, not very bright. Just my opinion.
    Anonymous

• I'd have a lot more respect for her if she had actually donated food (maybe at least as much as the scarf cost) rather than just stand there trying to look pretty and warm hearted while she handed out food that OTHER people donated/paid for.

It was a photo op, and I wouldn't be shocked to learn she went home and took a shower, a bath, and maybe visited the decontamination chamber in between. I don't like her ~ and I'm not the least bit sorry for that. Her sort of arrogance is part of what is wrong with this country (and humans in general).
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 2:05 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Here's a question: Would she have been there (or doing something similar in Chicago) if she were not the wife of a politician who needed a photo op?

Frankly, I can't fathom spending $495 for a scarf. That seems like an outrageous expense, even if we weren't living in such rough economic times.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 2:58 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Ok.. I just want to point out first that I am not a fan of Michelle "Ms. Diva" Obama, however, tell me why we are mad at her for wearing expensive clothes while helping the needy, and yet no one criticized Princess Diana for what she wore while serving the poor?
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 1:10 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Im glad Mrs Obama helped the needy what she wears is not news worthy lol
    Truelove77

Answer by Truelove77 at 1:12 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I've paid almost as much for a handbag, I suppose y'all would talk s*** about me if I reached inside it to hand a $5 bill over to a homeless person?

***
    I would, but only if you were FLOTUS and mentioned how in these tough economic times EVERYONE needs to "tighten their belts." See, that would be an example of HYPOCRISY...in other words...do as I say, not as I do!

As a private citizen, if you choose to purchase a $500 purse, that's on you (frivolous, IMO, but your choice nonetheless). You see, my husband and I are quite comfortable financially, but I'm partial to my clearance rack, Liz Claiborne clutch and $25 Keds--but that's the kind of stuff we do, so that we ARE able to live comfortably--and enjoy the things that are TRULY important--one of which is donating considerably to a variety of charitable organizations! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:19 PM on Nov. 27, 2010