Do you think its right for the schools to have our kids vote?!

Maybe I over-reacted but I did not like my 5 year old coming home talking about who he was voting for because his teacher told him this guy was better. The school actually had the kindergarten classes vote. I was very mad. I don't think its the schools place to influence my child's political view. He's 5 he shouldn't even be thinking about politics.

luv.2b.mommy

Asked by luv.2b.mommy at 11:34 AM on Nov. 5, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• My son is 6 and came home talking about it also. He said that he voted for McCain b/c he liked what he said better. From what I understand they learned about both candidates. I didn't get upset, but I did think it was a little odd. I have no problem with them learning about the political candidates.
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 11:36 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Absolutely not, but now with the socialistic regime in place, starting them early is plan no.1
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 11:36 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I am thinking. . .not in kindergarten. Let's face it though, whoever the parents are voting more in most cases the kids will reflect that in the school. My son's 4th grade class did the same. It doesn't make them decide for their future, but it helps them practice the election process. I am not sure what I think about it as a whole, but kindergarten, the kids have NO clue about just about every issue.
    Carebear38

Answer by Carebear38 at 11:37 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• That's why I homeschool. Public school is a government institution, and that's all I have to say.

FishingMama

Answer by FishingMama at 11:38 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I totally agree with you. My son is in Kindergarten too. My son came home wearing a sticker that said I voted for Obama. I called the school and complained, it didnt make a difference though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• My daughter (3rd grade) was very excited to have a class vote. She has been studying our government for a month, and she has also helped me with some volunteer work for Obama's campaign. I gave her an 8 year-old level explanation about why her dad and I supported him, so she wouldn't just like Obama because mom and dad do. In that context, a class vote helps kids to understand democracy and feel they can participate in some way.

I disagree with your son's teacher sharing her political preference with the children. That is inappropriate, especially at age 5. My son is also in kindergarten, and their class vote was a choice between extra recess and a pizza party. I think that was a great demonstration of democracy for 5 year-olds! (recess won, by the way)
    yarnjunkie

Answer by yarnjunkie at 11:39 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I don't think is wrong. I think that they should field that there little voices are being heard. Also face little kids are influence by there parents votes.
    Jamie8788

Answer by Jamie8788 at 11:40 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I don't have a problem with them letting the kids vote. I think the school should tell them to come home and discuss the issues with thier familes and then come back and vote. I do not think it is appropriate for the teachers to have ANY say, and I would go to the school and tell them so.
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:40 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I dont think teachers should tell kids that one person is better than the other, but I think that a mock vote in school is a fun and educational way for children to understand how we choose the president. They learn about all the presidents in history, I think it is only logical they learn how it is that they became president.
    bbennington1

Answer by bbennington1 at 11:41 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Oh my, I thought I was the only one! I don't talk politics with my kids because they are kids! My first grader came home from school last week pointing his finger at me asking "Who do you hope for" I was like what are you talking about? He said Barack or McCain? WTF??

confused

Christinemg0813

Answer by Christinemg0813 at 11:42 AM on Nov. 5, 2008