I need help with getting my 5 year old son to drink water because his skin is so dry and his nose is forever stuffy because no water to break up the mucus so any suggestions on what to give him besides water?

momuv2933

Asked by momuv2933 at 1:25 PM on Nov. 27, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Drinking water won't help with the nose and dry skin.....which are both common this time of the year, especialy in colder climates with the furnace running. Put a vaporizer or humidifier on in his room or in the general living area of the house
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:27 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• That is not an indicator of dehydration. Urine is a better indicator. ti should be somewhat clear and not have a strong smell. HE should be urinating several times a day.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:29 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Yes, staying hydrated will help, but Mom2Jack04 is right in that there is more to it than that. A humidifier will help, so will skin lotion to soothe the dryness. I wouldn't be worried about what to give him besides water, I'd be giving him more water and less of other fluids. Water is essential to health, both mind and body.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 1:31 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Drinking more fluid in general will definitely help... water is the best natural expectorant there is!! How about adding some crystal lite or something to the water... in low quantities. That helped with my kids. You can also try some saline nasal spray... it's non-medicated and helps break up the mucus really well. He can use it several times a day. A humidifier will also help bunches!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 1:32 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• for a cold you need a hymdifier and even use it at night. to break up mucus use musnix. nasal drops will help as well. As for water try the flavored water, jello. Plus avoid milk products and even things like fruit snack and rasions. At night also prop head up to help breathe.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 1:43 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I bet this started shortly after you had to cut the heater on... That will so dry out anyone's skin!! Humidifier and a good lotion.
    Anonymous

• I agree on a humidifier and lotion and nasal spray.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 4:33 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I almost forgot... fruits and veggies high in vit. A & B and foods high in omega-3 fatty acids will also help nourish the skin from the inside out!!! If your diet sucks your skin will react for sure!! Here's a good site with some tips... http://1stholistic.com/beauty/skin/skin_dry.htm

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 5:49 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Seems like you got some really good advice...good luck to you, I hope they work.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 8:13 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I agree with all the other moms. Good luck!
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 5:03 PM on Nov. 28, 2010