If your child loses a jacket that they've only worn a couple of times do you buy them a new one?

My 9 y/o lost his jacket that he has only worn a couple of times, he will be checking the lost and found at school on Monday. He has already had his teacher buy him shoes because his shoe laces were ratty(he refused to tie them). I feel like buying him a new one is rewarding him for being irresponsible especially given the fact that he has already received an extra pair of shoes for it.

mlregalado

Asked by mlregalado at 1:34 PM on Nov. 27, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Living in Canada I'd have to get him a new jacket, but he'd be earning some money to pay me back. But I'd be checking the lost and found before I made a trip to buy a new one - and he'd be getting a second hand one.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 2:27 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• AGAIN people. You DON'T get sick from being cold. You get sick from GERMS and BACTERIA.
    Anonymous

• Anon.... You are right that being out in the cold doesn't make you sick........BUT Getting too cold for a prolonged period of time can lower your body temperature and lower your immune system making you more suceptable to getting sick

OP, 4's is still cold enough to need a jacket, not a hoodie.....I would have him look at the lost and found and if not there, buy him another coat. Perhaps put his name on the inside of the coat and a phone number in case lost again.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:52 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Well if it is cold will you let him go out without a jacket? if he needs it yes, buy it!

Answer by older at 1:36 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I would buy a jacket but wouldn't spend much on one. I know you want to teach responsibility and I completely agree with you, unfortunately my oldest has "lost" a couple of items over his years in school and I'm convinced someone just kept them. Things that have our last name, school name and phone number inside and would just completely fall off the face of the earth. I'm all about teaching the kids to keep after their things but it isn't their fault in a case that someone else has sticky fingers and is a sneak. Not that this is the case with your son, just saying. :)
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 1:55 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Does he have something else he can wear? If not, he still needs a jacket. Maybe have him use his own money to buy one.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 1:35 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I think it's your responsibility to buy him a new jacket whether he lost his or not. You still have to provide for him. Get him one from a thrift store. Him getting sick will most likely cost more than a 10$ thrift store jacket.
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 1:38 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• He has lots and lots of hoodies to wear and it only gets down to the 40s here so it isn't terribly cold, most days I don't wear a jacket at all.
    mlregalado

Comment by mlregalado (original poster) at 1:39 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I would get my child a new jacet if there was no back ups in the house. You can get one at wal-mart for $10-15. I don't have to buy an expensive one every time...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:40 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• My dd has so many jackets and coats that it wouldn't be missed. So no; I would not replace it-she would have to do that. If he finds it in the lost and found I would make sure that it was washed and dried before he wore it. You never know what kind of vermin are in those lost and found boxes! I am thinking LICE here! And yes; I would take him to the second hand store to get a new one; tell him that when he can show some responsibility he can have another new one.
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 1:47 PM on Nov. 27, 2010