How do I get my almost 6 month old to sleep at night?

I have a 2 bedroom home, so my boys (21 months and almost 6 months) will share a room, but Caleb (younger) does not sleep through the night! We tried letting him cry it out as the doctor said and have seen NO improvement after 4 weeks! So he continues to sleep in the pack-n-play in the living room and not his crib. He wakes up about 3:30 a.m. and just crys until you pick him up. If you don't pick him up he continues to cry! I am TIRED!!! Do I just put each boy in their own crib and pray they figure it out or continue to pick him up at 3:30 and put him in bed with me to get some sleep? HELP!!!!

peanut2007

Asked by peanut2007 at 11:42 AM on Nov. 5, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you can, start putting your baby down for NAPS in his crib so he gets used to it. Then, make sure that you feed him right before he goes to bed. You may even what to wake him before you go to bed or sometime before you know he is going to wake up and feed him again. Sometimes the hunger pains wakes them up.
    The cry it out method does work, but not usually in the middle of the night.
    I slept with my baby in the recliner for 1 month during the transition between bassinet, swing and crib.
    Good luck
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 11:45 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• My pediatrician told me if I wanted my DD to sleep w/o waking (as she was only waking up once... kinda like this) to get rid of the pacifier.
    We did... had a couple rough days.... and since then, she sleeps w/o waking.... 11-12hrs a night!
    a.butler

Answer by a.butler at 12:31 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I don't know whether or not you're using a pacifier but I must agree with a.butler!! Got rid of the paci at 5 months with mine and life has been bliss! CIO won't really work if they depend on anything like a pacifier to soothe themselves. They need to learn to TRULY self soothe, then the CIO will work. Keep a consistent bedtime, feed him right before bed, and don't let him do any sleeping 3-4 hours before bedtime (these are just things that have helped me).
    flalbert

Answer by flalbert at 1:03 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• hes 6mnths old ... if he wakes up 3:30 am he is hungry he needs diaper change and why not put the pack-n-play on ur room - as far i read he is sleeping and is not like he is staying up ALL night.
    is complete normal - babys wake up at least 1-3 times at night specially at the age of 6months - they eat about every 4hrs and they are still babys - u dont ignore kid from crying specially at that age.
    my kid wakes up 1-2 at night and he is only 1yr old - reason why he wakes up? he is hungry. diaper needs to be change.
    some kids are high maintenance. not to be mean but you may need to change doctor who can give you a better advice.
    try giving your baby cereal on his milk it may help through the night
    Anonymous

• had my daughter sleep with us till she was 6 months,
    1.what we had to do was put him down in his crib, comfort and assure him that you are there, then leave the room.
    2. DONT pick him up if he starts crying. come back in the room 5- 10 minutes and reassure him and rub him that your there.
    3.everytime you go in the room, extend the time by 5 mins. he will be asleep by notime. the trick is to NOT pick him up.
    4.and if your breastfeeding, DAD would probly want to be the one doing this....
    this will probly go on for about 3 days, then youll have your son sleeping all byherself!! :)
    danimama308

Answer by danimama308 at 10:01 PM on Nov. 5, 2008