Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Child Support BS!!!!! ugh

Ok I have been paying child support for just over 2 years. With my current job I make 400 a month if im lucky. I pay 324.00 a month to my ex. here is where Im confused and just a little upset. I know t goes without being said that I pay child support for my son, I dont have a problem with that. The issue I DO have is that they left me with 78.00 in my account. they took over 117.00 this pay check. I dont know HOW they came up with that figure. and i was never notified about the amount that would be automatically deducted. I guess I just have deal with it. not worth crying over right? its for my son

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:59 PM on Nov. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

Answers (14)
  • Sounds like you need to speak with your lawyer and try to have it lowered they can do that.

    Answer by bhoward87 at 2:01 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

  • talked to child support. they say it can take 4-6+ months to change it.. thats IF the judge says ok

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:03 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

  • How was child support figured? It's typicaly 17% of your earnings in most states, meaning if you earn $400 you should only be paying about $68 a month.

    I'd contact your lawyer and look into why they look $117 and why the child support is so high to begin with.

    My ex lived on student loans for the last two years and he only pays me $25 a month!!!!! And now that he's graduated and jobless I don't even see that anymore, lol

    Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:03 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

  • Oh wow thats crazy!

    Answer by bhoward87 at 2:04 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

  • Did they tack on health insurance and daycare costs?

    Answer by amybaby_19 at 2:04 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

  • no , i am to pay half medical bills with cash... to his dad. our son is in 1st grade.. alot has changed since i was court ordered. im on good speaking terms with his father right now.. so im wondering when i take him home if I should talk to him about asking to have it stopped.. cause i cant live off it.. nor feed him.. hense why im on food stamps. its sooo completely complicated.. guess I need to make a few phone calls monday

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:09 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

  • time to find a second job.. I have my 6 yr old and a baby on the way to take care of. (even if my 6yr old doesnt live with me)

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:11 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

  • Wait, why are you paying child support? Does he live with his dad full time or does he just stay there some days? Sorry if I'm being nosy, I've just never heard of a mother having to pay child support.

    Answer by andreab562 at 2:13 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

  • look up your states website and find a child support calculator... here in Indiana, theres has to be a 20% increase or decrease in order for child support to change.

    Answer by navywifey2006 at 2:17 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

  • no your not nosey.. on the sly one day his dad took him to his moms while i was working.(stupid me didnt do anything, dont ask why, it was a stupid move) that was just over 3 years ago. he lied to the courts saying I was not paying daycare. when I paid more per verbal agreement. no custody battle. he lieves with his dad. but right now his father works over nights so most the time he is with his grandparents (which I just found out is like 5 days out of the week).. so im trying to keep him more often and slowly see if I can get things turned around. anyways..... to the courts I look like a deadbeat mother.. which I am NOT!. i just sold my car cause i lost a job and got behind. sellin my car put me current.. :/

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:23 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.