potty training dilemma

My son is almost 2 1/2 years old and we began potty training a little over a week ago. He was doing so great and we had big boy underwear on him so he would know when to go if he started going and we had a reward sticker chart that if he got up to 10 stickers he got a new little toy or special treat. He was handling it so well and even going on his own. Now recently he has almost completely stopped. He will just go wherever he is and refuses to use the potty in any way. We tried to step it up and give him one M&M and a sticker on the chart if he went in the potty but so far nothing. Its almost been 2 weeks now and seems he refuses to do it now. What am I doing wrong? Should I just stop now?

djanowski775

Asked by djanowski775 at 2:09 PM on Nov. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• with my little girl,i ask her every hour or so if she has to go potty,,she will let me know,,but i sometimes jump up and down in the bathroom with her wwhen she is going and say yay!she laughs and gets exciterd
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 3:38 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• this may help
    and no offense
    but rewarding kids with food and toys isn't the best thing
    you should make sure he feels proud of himself when he uses the toilet
    when he does it ask him if he is proud of himself
    ask how he feels when he uses the toilet compared to how he feels when he has an accident
    if kids feel a sense of pride from an accomplishment they are much more likely to repeat it
    rather than getting a treat he can get somewhere else
    I learned this from a child psychologist
    it works wonders
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 2:42 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• my son has been doing this for a long time and it is hard we just tell him that he needs to potty on the toilet. I heard boys are the hardest to train
    MommyTessier

Answer by MommyTessier at 4:28 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I've been trying to potty train my 2 1/2 year old for a month now.Hes gone one time in the potty chair and thats it.He'll tell me 'mommy i have to poop' but when i sit him on the potty chair he doesnt do anything. Hes sat there for 30 mins before and nothing happened. Then about 10 mins later he had a dirty diaper.Hes ripped his diaper off and peed on the floor but wont sit on his potty chair at all to pee he thinks its a game,sits down and gets up.I dont know what else to do.Family and friends have tried to help and give tips and nothing is working.PLEASE HELP!!!
    jatz_0809

Answer by jatz_0809 at 5:30 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I am with you on there jatz. we ask my son every hour if he has to go and says no and gets mad. I am laying off for a bit and after christmas when everything is not so chaotic then I will try again.
    djanowski775

Comment by djanowski775 (original poster) at 12:27 PM on Nov. 30, 2010