Military Families and Holidays....

My hubby just left a short bit ago, we will be seperated until beginning of January. Not too long, but still first Christmas apart for him with our babies. My hubby has been working weeks away for months and we were able to spend the last month together, very fortunate. But still hard. Then after New Years the house will be packed up and we will make the 3 day journey....again LOL to be together! But any advice to cope through holidays? I do live close to family and few friends, so that does help immensely!!!!

2BlondeBabies

Asked by 2BlondeBabies at 2:10 PM on Nov. 27, 2010 in Relationships

• Make it all about the kids. This will be the 3 or 4th Christmas that hubby will be gone for. I have lost count. December is a little hard for us. We have 3 birthdays and an anniversary during the month too so it can really bring me down. I just try to focus on them and how much joy they get out of it. We are no where near family so that will make a huge difference for you. Surround yourself with love and keep busy busy busy. One of my little ones is turning three and he has never been home for one of her birthdays I am just going to make it as special as humanly possible.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 2:29 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Keep things going as normal as possible. You have to always do that. If you don't, it will be even more upsetting. Also, always talk about him with your kids. Talk with him as much as possible, and have your kids talk with him, too. And as usual, keep busy. But I think the most important thing is to keep things as normal as possible. If you always buy a live tree, buy a live tree. We've had a few Christmas's without my hubby, and it's hard. But we still put up the tree, still had Christmas. With kids you have to.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 2:30 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Christmas before last my hubby was deployed for the first time, and the Christmas before that he was in basic training! It was difficult and a little depressing but it's all about keeping yourself together for the kids. Try to keep things as normal as possible and celebrate the holidays as always =) Also suggest taking a video for your hubby of the kids opening their gifts on Christmas morning. He will love it!
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 2:23 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Sorry no advice just a bump and hug
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 2:29 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• We put up the tree yesterday during nap and recorded the kids as they both woke to see it. 1 and 2 yr olds aren't exactly going to remember last Christmas, and we then weren't in our "home" together then either. The kids and I came to my families at Thanksgiving and he went back to where we were stationed and came home for Christmas, then wasn't back here until April. Seperation isn't anything new....it's just harder now that the 2 yr old understands somewhat "daddy's at work, daddy's flying" and knows when the car is being packed up it's for a long time, not just a few days. Hooray for technology, otherwise it would really be more difficult! Sorry to you Melbornj, That's so many years, but I understand the sacrifice today to make tomorrow years better for your family.
    2BlondeBabies

Comment by 2BlondeBabies (original poster) at 2:44 PM on Nov. 27, 2010