Have you tried to prepare something to impress somebody and it was a disaster?

I was going to (well I did) make chicken spaghetti last night for dinner here at my MIL & FIL's house, except using leftover turkey instead of chicken. I've made it a few times before (using chicken though) and it comes out pretty good. But last night I totally screwed it up, because I burnt the Velveeta cheese while I was trying to melt it (I usually melt it in the microwave, but I was trying to melt it on the stove). Completely ruined it. I was so disappointed. Had to throw the entire dish away.

Any dinner disappointments for you? LOL

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 2:10 PM on Nov. 27, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I tried to make some cookies that required phyllo dough, and were filled with a honey syrup, walnuts, raisins and chocolate chips. Well, I was cooking in an unfamiliar kitchen, so the dough dried out and cracked, I rushed the honey syrup and it mellted the chocolate chips in the filling.....

When they finally came out of the oven, the dough had broken, and most of the filling had run out onto the cookie sheets, where it baked into a wierd, lacy, chocolate walnut honey brittle-like mess, where it didn't outright BURN.

I was so mad I sat down and cried.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 7:04 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• all the time when DH was deployed. I invited some of the other army wives over to my house for dinner alot, just to pass the time and all and I would try new recipes on them and some worked out (chicken souvlaki gyro's style) and some missed (indian tacos) but its always fun to try something new.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 2:16 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• All the time! lol I am constantly trying new dishes to cook for my hubby but some of them have been flat out TERRIBLE!! I have learned to always have a back up plan lol
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 2:18 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• yeah...i have tried to put together a dish called gnocci, its pretty much like potatoe dumplings. the potatoes werent even cooked enough to mash and i was in a hurry to make it before my guest left and so it turned out to be clumpy potatoe gnocci. it was ok, could of made it better but it turns out that the guest didnt care for anything that was close to dumplings so it was a lose, lose situation on that dish.

i also one time, didnt cook chicken enough so it turned out to be bloody inside. embarressing!!
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 2:45 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• yes, my pumpkin pies tasted like poop!!!!
    JazzyJes

Answer by JazzyJes at 2:52 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• not meals, but i tried making some ice cream cupcakes for my daughter's class for school and they turned out horrible.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 3:35 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Polenta. Ten years ago and I still haven't heard the end of it.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:28 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Thanksgiving dinner in our new home (2002). Turkey wasn't cooking ~ found out our new (to us) oven was faulty. Wish the inspector had caught that before we had the family over.
    tortkey

Answer by tortkey at 7:12 AM on Nov. 28, 2010