Is it wrong....

to refer to Obama as black when he's only half black? My nephew is half black, but refers to himself as black. I know it's not nearly the same, but I'm half English and half French and I don't get mad if people call me just French. Am I missing something? Maybe I'm a little ignorant about this subject and if I am please explain it to me. I don't see why people keep freaking out about calling Obama black. Is it offensive? Does anyone know what he prefers?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Nov. 5, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• question- Obama is literally part African and part American... What in the world is wrong with him saying he's African-American?
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 3:50 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• He prefers to be called King or Your Majesty.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 11:45 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Do You want to know what I call him?
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 11:46 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• All the sisters out here say he calls himself AA
    Africian American
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• What so you call him : akinbottom2, I would like to know?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• why do you even care what she calls him
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 11:53 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I think he is a mulatto which means one parent is white and one parent is black....he is not 100% African American like everyone would like you to believe!....remember his own father who was Kenyan abandoned him and it was his white mother and her white parents that raised him...so go figure!
    Anonymous

• Mulatto is a term that no one in the African-American community where I live would EVER use. The preferred term is bi-racial. Bi-racial isn't just black and white, it is two distinct, recognized 'races' like Mexican-American or Chinese-Japanese, or Cuban-Japanese, etc.

Gilagirl

Answer by Gilagirl at 12:20 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• You DO realize there are many famous people, athletes, singers, politicians, movie starts, etc, who are called african american that are not 100% "black"? Such as Tiger Woods?
    Anonymous

• What is so bad with Mulatto...the wikipedia defines it has having one black parent and one white parent? What's the problem? To me bi-racial sounds more degrading?
    Anonymous