Why is it so bad to be "stuck on yourself"

I mean obviously if I constantly talked about myself 24/7 and was snobby about it I can see a problem with it... but I do not do that and I am not sure why thinking highly of myself is a bad thing....

I think I am a great woman, I am beautiful and sexy, strong, I have a good bit of money and I am an amazing mommy and wife !

I have a large group of family and friends who love me, but of course there are a few people who call me stuck up or too selfish because I love myself too much ...

I mean isnt that what our parents and other people want of women - to love ourselves and to not complain or talk down about ourselves

This isn't bugging me that they say those things about it, it is just that I dont understand why people seem to think of that as a bad thing ( which is why I am asking here lol )

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:33 PM on Nov. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Its okay to be proud of yourself and your life you have created for you and your family its when you go around and throw it in peoples faces with when they dislike it.
    bhoward87

Answer by bhoward87 at 2:37 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• If you are so stuck on yourself you may cease to see your own flaws and unintentionally hurt others,it is wrong because it is SELFISH.
    WhitleyLyles

Answer by WhitleyLyles at 2:37 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• There is a difference between positive self-regard that is based in reality (including appreciating your own gifts, talents and luck) and self-aggrandizement.

When you appear to be boasting about things you have no control over (like the fortune you've had in finances --because you've not gone bankrupt from medical bills because you're healthy, or because you've never been working for a company that folded taking your last paycheque with it) or things that 'just happen' that you're taking credit for (the fact that you're beautiful, for instance), people are offended because not only are you behaving as if your own careful management and skill has created this good fortune, but you imply that other people's misfortune is due to their lack of character or merit... which is offensive.

When our self-esteem is based on what we have done rather than what we have, we are happy and grateful and people don't see us as stuck up.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:43 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• well this is my problem... I use to be big and ugly ( i was VERY hairy and just weird to look at ) and everyone always told me not talk down about myself .... Now that I am grown and I look good now ( after hard work ) and I love the way I look... I do not talk down about myself , if people are complaining about how they look I just dont say anything ... I dont just tell people " look at me I am good looking" .. but I feel I have worked hard to look the way I do and I actually do have people that come up to me and tell me that I am pretty ( like last week when i was in teh grocery line a woman I didnt know came up and told me that I was soo pretty).... Of course I am sure I do have flaws but I dont see them as flaws ( like I have a big birthmark on my wrist , but i dont see anything wrong with that)

Also when i first got married my husband was a jerk and we were poor * continued in next answer*
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:51 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Pride comes before a fall, a haughty spirit before destruction.
    Anonymous

• There is a fine line between being arrogant, rude and completely self absorbed versus being confident and happy in your own skin. And truthfully there are some people who are not happy with others who are confident and lead happy, successful lives. If you are happy and content, but still thoughtful, kind and sympathetic to the needs of others, than I congratulate you. That is a hard thing for most people to achieve. And those who do are often envied, but not by everyone.

On the other hand, if you are truly stuck up, then you believe that you are above everyone. And stuck up people tend to take pride in being arrogant, impolite and self-absorbed..these types are a big pain to have around and the only person in the room happy to be with them is...no one.

"Stuck up" is really an attitude. And stuck up people are often everything but secure. Most often they are not fooling anyone with their act but themselves.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 2:53 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I feel like we worked hard on our marriage to have it like we do now ( we hardly ever disagree and he is my best friend now) .......

We were at a point where we were going to have to move in with my parents after we had our second baby.... but we worked hard and opened our own animal rescue and shelter... and now we also own a big farma dn alot of rental properties...

My husband has Marfans syndrome and has problems with his heart... my 4 year old daughter had problems with her blood and almost had to get a blood transfusion and I have beat breast and cervical cancer .......

I feel like we are rewarded now for what we have worked for..... I dont go around throwing our lives in other peoples faces.... but because I have said that we have a wonferful life and I love myself.... why is THAT a bad thing
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:56 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• It might be the way that you come off. I have a very good life and know I am beautiful but I don't flaunt or go on about it (not saying you are). No matter how beautiful or lucky you are, everyone has issues inside and out. You say that you are sure you have flaws, but I guarentee that you do as we all do. Perhaps you should make a consious effort to notice how you come off to others and maybe you'll catch how you come off that way. I am very happy to know that people are happy in their lives, but not so happy to see them act as if they are better than others or flaunt their happiness.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 3:04 PM on Nov. 27, 2010