How can I get rid of spiders on my Christmas tree?

I just found a few spiders on the Christmas tree we just cut down and brought in today. I've read that they're harmless, but I'd prefer their being outside of my home, not inside. Any ideas on what I can spray on the tree? I can't use pesticides because I have a daughter and a cat. I was thinking maybe a cooking-oil spray that could coat their bodies and wouldn't harm the tree. Anyone have experience with that?

SlightlyPerfect

Asked by SlightlyPerfect at 2:38 PM on Nov. 27, 2010 in Holidays

• Get a lizard?
    they eat spiders! lol
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 2:43 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I think they do make pesticies that are safe around kids and animals you will just have to check around your local stores or try google and see if it pops up something you can look for. Other than that I dont know if cooking oil would kill them or not maybe just make them run away from your tree and find a place in your house and that wouldnt be good.
    bhoward87

Answer by bhoward87 at 2:45 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• There is a product, that you can make in your kitchen that will kill the spiders and be safe for kids and pets. Here is the "recipe":
    Orange Oil Pesticide
    * 1 gallon of water
    * 2 oz. of orange oil
    * 2 bulbs of garlic
    * 2 cayenne peppers
    * Blender
    * Empty spray bottle
    1. Place the garlic bulbs and cayenne peppers in a blender and liquefy.
    2. Mix the garlic/pepper liquid with one gallon of water.
    3. Add your orange oil to the water and mix all of the ingredients together. This makes a natural pesticide in concentrate form.
    4. Place three tbsp. of your concentrate in an empty spray bottle. Fill the spray bottle with water.

However, if you would rather just run down to the store and buy this same product you can. Figured I would let you know about both options. It is the safest product, especially when you have young kids and pets.
    SlapHappi

Answer by SlapHappi at 3:05 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• By the way, it wont do anything to your tree or any other plants you want to keep free from pests.
    SlapHappi

Answer by SlapHappi at 3:07 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• 'vegetable oil used in cooking, has often provided fair to good control of some insects and mites."

Just read this on this website:
    http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/05569.html

So, apparently you can use Vegetable oil. Good luck and hope something that has been mentioned here helps.
    SlapHappi

Answer by SlapHappi at 3:13 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I heard lavender keeps insects away. I live on a farm
    so we have lots of spiders. The spiders helped me
    decorate for halloween....
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 3:14 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• yikes, bump 4 u...
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 4:19 PM on Nov. 27, 2010